Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: e-books and e-readers: post here

There is an awesome ebook management program available free online called "Calibre". I have used it to convert a number of documents for viewing on my Kindle. It is very easy to use for a computer dummy like me.
    Steve Carlson
    1995 Isuzu Trooper LS

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Am...pf_rd_i=507846

I just placed my order for the Kindle Fire, I will have it Thursday.
    Some try to compare it to an iPad, it is not an iPad, nor does it compete with it.

Lots of info on the device at the above link.

I also finally joined the Cloud
    I setup my Droid Bionic yesterday via Amazon's MP3 player, and I have Cloud access now via Amazon to store my own music uploaded my home PC, or to store Amazon purchased MP3s and movies.

Tried it out at home, and now the 13 Alice Cooper (showing my age here ) MP3s I bought yesterday show up in the Cloud on my Droid, on my work PC, and of course on my hard drive at home.
    The Amazon music shows up under My Documents/My Music/Amazon/name of artist folder, pretty cool, and also my iTunes opened up at home and imported the new purchased tunes into my iTunes library.
    Brilliant

I will have to post a pic later comparing the screen of my Droid verses the Kindle Fire.
    Text is still garbled in the navbars with the Droid Bionics (just this forum only), but it looks perfect on my Kindle Fire.
    The Kindle is to big to hold in my hand and type on it like a smart phone, so I have to rest this on my lap and type on it.

I am hoping the Fire II will have HDMI and Bluetooth.
    The former for TV out, and the latter for my Sony Bluetooth headphones for music on this.

When I turned it on yesterday, it greeted me by my name.
    Amazon programs them with your account info, pretty cool.
    All of my Android apps I got via the Amazon App Storre for my Droid Bionics were waiting in the Cloud for transfer to my Kindle, so I take it the Kindle is Android based.

Sent from my Kindle Fire.

haven is online now Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    The Next Big Thing for e-readers appears to be front-lighting for the inexpensive models. Today, the Kindle and Nook e-readers use an LCD panel that is reflective. So the e-reader is fully usable in bright light, even direct sunlight. In a darkened room, however, they don't work at all. The addition of front-lighting makes the e-reader a better bedtime companion. The front-lighting works like a flashlight, too, helping you find your way to the bathroom in the dark.

The Barnes and Noble Nook Touch with Glowlight (that's a mouthful!) is first out of the gate, offering a front-lit 6 inch screen for $139. The new model delivers a month of reading, if you use the front light for 30 minutes a day. Amazon is working on a similar model, but no details have been announced.

Here's an article with photos of the new Nook

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/n...ight-hands-on/

Now that looks pretty cool. I'd like to go with a thinner, lighter case than the Kindle leatherette case with the slide out LED.
    "Occupy National Parks!" - gabepari
    ------------------------------------------
    TreadLightly! Trainer
    KI6PFO
    Off Road Photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com
    @4wdphoto on Twitter & Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    In a darkened room, however, they don't work at all.
    Technically, they( the e-readers) are still working perfectly, it's your eyes that aren't working because there is no light for the retina to perceive
    Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    CrowsWing Benroy Teardrop on ExPo
    The 220,000 Mile Tundra

[QUOTE=Fireman78;1022367My wife just found out something totally awesome with the Fire. Renting FOR FREE EBooks from the local library.. all you need is WiFi in the house and a library card!![/QUOTE]

You can do that with any ereader.

Ive been using my Nook Tablet for 4 months now. Its fantastic. Works with pdfs perfectly, manages textbooks perfectly and I have access to B&N, Amazon, Google Books, etc... very easily. HD screen is great and its very touch responsive. Plus, its very thin and light. More so than a Fire. The Nook has been with me every single day for 4 solid months and use it with materials in my masters. Its a school tool for me and has been perfect for that.

This is a typical scene
    Last edited by Viggen; 04-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    If its not broken. Fix it until it is.

Microsoft holds a bunch of patents related to the touchscreen interface. MS has successfully negotiated royalty payments from several Android OEMs, including HTC, Samsung and Huawei.

Now Barnes and Noble has agreed to MS terms, and in an unusual way. B&N will pay MS based on future Nook tablet sales. And B&N has agreed to develop Nook software for Windows 8. In return, MS has made a $300 million investment in a new B&N subsidiary that will include the Nook e-reader, online bookstore, and college book sales programs.

This sounds like a win for both B&N and MS. B&N is currently trailing Amazon in the e-book business, and Apple is coming up fast. The tie to MS will give added publicity for the B&N brand, and joint development of the Nook. In the future, I see Microsoft's ARM version of Windows 8 supplanting Android as the OS used by the Nook.

The college bookstore part of this deal is significant. B&N and MS were partners in the past in the higher Ed market, with little success. Microsoft can leverage e-books and online course materials into increased sales of Windows 8 laptops and tablets. Students have little reason to buy an Amazon Kindle, since its ability as a general computing device is limited. This deal puts MS back in competition with Apple for higher ed hearts and minds.

Barnes &Noble just lowered the price of their original 7" color tablet, the Nook Color, from $169 to $149. This is the lowest price I've seen for new, with factory warranty, 7 inch Android tablet from a major manufacturer. The Nook Color has a slot for a microSD card, which makes it simple to boot the tablet with custom versions of Android in place of the Nook version.

The Nook Color lacks a GPS chip, but by booting into a full version of Android, it's possible to attach an external GPS receiver for navigation.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1100437663

Here's a pretty good review of the new $250 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7 inch Android tablet, including comments about and comparisons with the Nook and the Kindle Fire.
    http://liliputing.com/2012/05/samsun...-0-review.html

The Samsung tablet seems to do most everything that the Nook can do. The Kindle Fire has advantages in Amazon Prime streaming movies, and Kindle Owners book sharing. The Samsung tablet has full access to the Google Play store, which is not available to the other two without rooting and substituting a custom ROM. However, Amazon's app store is quite complete. And refurbished Kindle Fire tablets can be purchased for less than $150.

Amazon is rumored to be working on a replacement for the Kindle Fire, due this Fall in time for holiday gift-giving. It will be interesting to see if the next Fire holds the line on pricing ($200).

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast