When cracking eggs....

lamontagne

Adventurer
Do you use a one-handed method, or do you use two hands?

Back story...The wife and I visited my folks during the holidays and the whole family was over for breakfast one day. I started to make the eggs using the one-handed method and my nieces, nephews and even my sisters were enthralled because they had never seen it done before with one hand.

I thought that was kinda wierd myself, after all, this is the only way I have ever cracked eggs.

Anyhow, a discussion ensued and it was determined that I was chef extraordinaire :coffeedrink: for mastering said technique and we all had a good laugh.

Well this morning eggs came up again in discussion at work and it was mentioned, do you use one hand or two to crack eggs?

(PS, yea I know its a stupid topic, but try to have fun with it!)

voyageur

Adventurer
You really crack me up!

While serving in the USN Submarine Corp, I did a typical tour as mess cook. First thing I had to learn, was how to crack two eggs at once. One in each hand...

:victory:​

I still do it just to keep in practice. Makes short work of large groups "Eggs to order".

Hen fruit squeezer...

barlowrs

Explorer
I always use one handed now, though I used to use two. A lot of people dont seem to know how to use one though, guess its something that takes practice.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
One handed, and I always crack them into another vessel - to make sure the egg is good.

I was OCONUS, got a dozen eggs from the commissary and one of them was very bad....and ruined the rest of the ingredients I had (all I had for this particular dish, too).

DaveM

Explorer
one handed crack, two handed to open and dump.

I have a related question... crack on counter or edge of bowl?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've tried one handed before, but two handed feels more natural because you are taking the two halves of the shell apart to get the insides out.

Off topic but related: My grandma (age roughly 65-70) can split an apple in two with her bare hands, absolutely no knives in sight. Evidently arthritis is not an issue for her. She gets it in both hands and puts her fingers by the stem and just breaks it in half, its the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Edge of bowl, two hands, but then most of the time I'm making waffles with them so they have to be separated.

I'm not sure I could manage the one handed egg drop because I'm a klutz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94