When cracking eggs....

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I crack on the counter because if on the edge of the bowl it chunks in deeper and creates more little fragments of shell to fall into your food.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Edge of bowl, two hands, but then most of the time I'm making waffles with them so they have to be separated.

What is the benefit of separating (I'm assuming you mean yolks from the whites or vice versa) the eggs?

Me? 1-handed.

chrismc

Adventurer
Two-handed. I spring for the fancy organic, vegetarian, free-range, save-the-planet eggs (I know, I know), and they don't break nearly as cleanly as the plain old white eggs. It takes me two hands to separate these without bits ended up on the wrong place.

Many jobs ago when I worked in food, I'd do the two at a time method.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
What is the benefit of separating (I'm assuming you mean yolks from the whites or vice versa) the eggs?

The egg whites get beaten until they are fluffy and then folded into the rest of the mixture for poof.

Oh also for making hollandaise sauce because only the yolks are used - then I make meringues with the left over whites- mmm crunchy sugar poofed air :drool:

Explorer
I've tried one handed before, but two handed feels more natural because you are taking the two halves of the shell apart to get the insides out.

Off topic but related: My grandma (age roughly 65-70) can split an apple in two with her bare hands, absolutely no knives in sight. Evidently arthritis is not an issue for her. She gets it in both hands and puts her fingers by the stem and just breaks it in half, its the coolest thing I've ever seen.

I've seen this done by friends grandma! Her name is Marcella Sharbono. Baffled to this day how she could pop apples open effortlessly as we strong men just made messes!

Michael Slade

Untitled
Two-handed. I spring for the fancy organic, vegetarian, free-range, save-the-planet eggs (I know, I know), and they don't break nearly as cleanly as the plain old white eggs. It takes me two hands to separate these without bits ended up on the wrong place.

I keep seven chickens in my backyard and one of the first things I noticed was how thick their shells are. The first couple of times I cooked eggs I had a hard time getting them open w/out making a mess. Now I use two hands on the edge of the pan.

Ironically when I was making eggs last week for baking, we were out of our hen's eggs and had to buy white store eggs. Those shells were so thin, and I was calibrated for our own hen's egg shells, I shattered that wimpy little white egg and it went all over the stove.

Yes, I am strong.

:Wow1:

pint

Adventurer
Two hands and on whatever surface is available. I've tried it one handed, but usually just make a mess!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've seen this done by friends grandma! Her name is Marcella Sharbono. Baffled to this day how she could pop apples open effortlessly as we strong men just made messes!

My grandma's name is Rachel, but that would be a weirdo freakazoid coincidence if we were talking about the same lady!

By the way, whereabouts in Montana are you? I'm up north west in Sanders County on hwy 200 in the tiny town of Trout Creek.

Explorer
My grandma's name is Rachel, but that would be a weirdo freakazoid coincidence if we were talking about the same lady!

By the way, whereabouts in Montana are you? I'm up north west in Sanders County on hwy 200 in the tiny town of Trout Creek.

You never know in this state!

I'm In Helena, but I would like to do some exploring up your way sometime.

fowldarr

Explorer
One handed, usually crack on the bowl, but I have a couple of bowls where it just doesn't work right, then I go counter. Been known to use the 2 handed method on occassion, but my default is one handed,

I'm finding this interesting, because most people I've seen, outside of the restaurant biz, go double handed, but the major concensus here is one handed....maybe it's an expo thing?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Im freaking out, I've got James Bond in Helena just a few hours drive away from me, and then there is fowldarr who is moving to Nebraska soon. Where in Nebraska are you going? I just moved up here from North Platte last spring and I don't miss that hole one bit. Scottsbluff and the panhandle is cool so hopefully you're lucky enough to be moving around there somewhere.

frgtwn

Adventurer
It Depends

For the best control, as in fried eggs in a hot skillet/grill, two hands, one egg at a time. For scrambled, or who cares if the yolk is broken, and, for speed, it is two hands, two eggs, broken, always, on a flat surface. You cannot be fast on an edge.

Also, with two eggs, the hands do not have to synchronize. When the egg is ready, lose it and get another. Proceed.

Some experience here: I was timed on 12 dozen eggs years ago: 4 minutes and no shells in the bowl. Good times. Oh, and yes, this was outside.

Dale

Michael Slade

Untitled
For the best control, as in fried eggs in a hot skillet/grill, two hands, one egg at a time. For scrambled, or who cares if the yolk is broken, and, for speed, it is two hands, two eggs, broken, always, on a flat surface. You cannot be fast on an edge.

Also, with two eggs, the hands do not have to synchronize. When the egg is ready, lose it and get another. Proceed.

Some experience here: I was timed on 12 dozen eggs years ago: 4 minutes and no shells in the bowl. Good times. Oh, and yes, this was outside.

Dale

How many of them could you eat if they were hard boiled?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier