This isn't so much a build thread as just a basic trailer refurbishing story. I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ and wanted the additional cargo capacity of a light weight off road capable utility trailer. Lurking here at EP reading various threads I decided an m416 would work well. Unfortunately, no one really suggested how hard they are to find in usable condition. So after several months of searching I managed to track one down out in Northern California. Unfortunately I live in Colorado and taking the time off from work to drive out and pick it up wasn't feasible. I had it shipped here by listing it on Uship.com; the shipping cost was almost the price of the trailer. So anyway, I got my hands on an m416 that was complete including the lights. The tub was in fair shape, not too many dings but a few areas of deep rust and everything had about 10 layers of paint. I was anxious to get going and not having a sandblaster around I decided to strip the tub by hand using a heat gun and various scrapers. This is a miserable process and not one I suggest anyone try but after about 40 hours of work I managed to get most of the tub down to bare metal. I used a several rust/paint remover wheels in a drill on corners and non-flat areas. I then primed and painted the tub. The first three pictures show the original trailer and various stages of tub paint stripping.
to be continued in next post