Why does food only come in round cans?

Quietrover

Ease of opening. Ever try to open a square can with an opener or a P-38? We used to slay at least 3 standard openers prepping for chow when we would get T-Rat's in the field. Granted, SPAM:wings:, has a pull ring as do most square canned foods, but I think most round canned foods are pull ring these days. It would probably be cost prohibitive to re-tool all of the major packaging plants with robots that would accept square cans. Besides, I think the space savings v. weight would be negligable.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Before pull tab lids, some cans had a 'key' that you used to unwind a strip off the side of the can just below the lid. That was used on corned beef (and may still be the case with some brands). I'm not sure about Spam.

If I recall correctly some can openers have more of a problem with the straight sides of meat and fish cans, more so than the tight corners. I think the P38 handled different types better than most. But the pop top has eliminated the need for can openers on many weird shaped cans.

The latest opener that I bought opens up the seam, rather than cutting either the lid or the rim. I haven't tried it on a weird shape yet.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Many products have used key openers, canned meats like SPAM and hams, canned fish such as sardines, coffee, canned nuts, etc. I also remember that at one time you would get a packet of dye with margarine to make it yellow. It couldn't be sold pre-dyed. Also, Coors was one of the first to sell beverages in 2 piece drawn aluminium cans, circa 1960 Guess I am dating myself.

wikid

Adventurer
Sardines seem to be in a league of their own. It's just a better presentation to use a key and open a sardine can with all the little critters all laid out head to tail, swimming in the sauce of your particular liking. I prefer the mustard sauce, but I would imagine mustard doesn't quite look as natural and the oils they swim in naturally :sombrero:
I cannot imagine opening up a round can of sardines, with the little critters swimming, in an unorganized fashion.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Sardines seem to be in a league of their own. It's just a better presentation to use a key and open a sardine can with all the little critters all laid out head to tail, swimming in the sauce of your particular liking. I prefer the mustard sauce, but I would imagine mustard doesn't quite look as natural and the oils they swim in naturally :sombrero:
I cannot imagine opening up a round can of sardines, with the little critters swimming, in an unorganized fashion.

I must say I never thought of sardines in that way. I do miss the 'whoosh' and smell of coffee from opening the old keyed can. The aluminized mylar seal just is not the same.

wikid

Adventurer
I must say I never thought of sardines in that way. I do miss the 'whoosh' and smell of coffee from opening the old keyed can. The aluminized mylar seal just is not the same.
Neither did I ... until I read this thread. Then It brought me back to foods I used to eat with odd shaped cans. Then of course the analysis was done.

Round...

Ever been in a canning operation? Round cans are the major method of conveyance. They roll them through allot of the operations.

Also the can has accordion ribs in them to allow for expansion during retort. Harder to do with corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier