So I went ahead and ordered a vinyl floor and have it most of the way installed. I'll post some progress pics in this thread.
I purchased from automotiveinteriors.com for $134.00 shipped to my door. The floor is manufactured by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets). The material is pretty darn thick and difficult to work with unless you can get in warm. I'm lucky to not have suffered a serious cut using a stanley knife. Trauma sheers helped a lot. The floor piece is cut way over-size and has no pre-made holes, so if you screw it up and cut off a little too much in a critical area, it's going to show (see pics).
The box comes with the floor, a good amount of thick jute padding and some extra material to make covers for the hatches under the extended cab seats for my tacoma.
The floor out of the box and warming back into shape. The overall fit wasn't too bad, just a few wrinkled areas which I'm thinking should work themselves out.
Everything has to come out!
Here you can see the size comparison.
I found the best way to get it close to size was to lay the vinyl flooring upside down on the ground and lay the carpet upside down on top of that. using a permanent marker i could trace the general outline.
A heat gun helps to soften up the material to conform a little better. Trying to get it to fit under the dash was tough. You can see where I cut too much material away near the shifter. I might just have to put an off-cut piece of vinyl under the floor to fill the gap. I'm a perfectionist and this bugs the hell out of me...
The overall thickness and stiffness of the vinyl made it difficult to get the kick panels and sill covers back on. It doesn't look like it in the pic, but the retainers for the sill screws broke off and it is pretty loose now.
I'm making a custom rear "shelf" so i removed all the rear seats and framework underneath. It looks like it would fit ok in a stock vehicle.
The fit isn't too bad. Took me a solid 2 or 3 hours so far and I'm not even done mounting the seats. I found that to make hole for the seats, there is a little tube shaped punch tool included with a do-it-yourself grommet kit (like on the corners of tarps). Locating the holes is a little tricky since some of the seat mounts do not go all the way through the floor.
OVERALL, I would have to say it is more trouble than it's worth. The sound inside hasn't gotten any louder (from what I can tell) but I have a very annoying TRD exhaust that drones anyway. It looks more rugged, but I still like my weathertech liners better!