Out Doors Cook Books

Waytec

Adventurer
I don't know about the rest of you, but when my fends and I go camping we eat like kings.

I try different recipes I find, at home on the BBQ and then if they are good here they are even better over the open fire. I have found most of my recipes from cook books that have a BBQ section.

I am looking for suggestions of books that have good info in them.
Everyone seems to have a cook book now (I have even thought of weightings an outdoors one) but most of them are not all that good for cooking with an open fire. I got Jamie at home for Christmas and it has a BBQ section that he uses a open fire and not propane grill. This is a good one.

What do you all suggest?
:camping:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
If you are interested in dutch oven cooking, any ol' cook book will do. It might take some practice ahead of time, at home before you are out camping, to get it right and make any minor modifications, but anything in the cook books you already you can do in your dutch oven. Its no joke when they say that literally anything can be cooked in a dutch oven.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
In general cooking over an open fire is more about heat control technique than cook books. Once you master heat control on an open fire any recipe for range top cooking will be a piece of cake.

One method of controlling heat is to have a main fire to supply coals and a smaller fire to the side with a grill over it to cook on. You add or remove coals to control heat.

Another method is to use a grill that can be raised and lowered over the coal bed to control heat.

Either way it's better to cook over coals rather than flames.

In addition to dutch ovens you can experiment with reflector ovens for baking and roasting.

5x5

Observer
The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen

Smoke and Spice. Your supposed to use a smoker, but alot of the recipes translate well to the grill or fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles