Favorite Sauces

rusty_tlc

Explorer
That rooster sauce must be the same stuff we use, I can't pronounce it or spell it for the life of me. The same thing goes for worcestershire sauce. And Stubbs is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I like to make a simple steak marinade with some of the Braggs, some worcestershire sauce, a dab of liquid smoke, and some Jim Beam. Don't measure, just pour it into a quart size bag and squish it around to mix it up. Throw in a sprig or two of thyme in there and soak your meat for a while, then flop it on the Foreman. :drool:
Braggs vinegar?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Lousy day here today - gray and damp. I am thinking of things related to warmer weather - like BBQ.

A slow cooked pork shoulder with hickory smoke... pulled from the bone and served with Lexington sauce is amazing. Add a side of coleslaw, dill pickles, BBQ beans, white bread and a cold one and you have the makings of a great picnic.

Pulled Pork

Always use a pork shoulder for this. I use salt, lime juice, and a Jamaican jerk dry rub with allspice, brown sugar, scotch bonnet pepper flakes and other mystery stuff in it. Rub thoroughly into the pork and refrigerate about 12 - 24 hours before cooking. I use a very low temperature (about 250 - 275), in a roasting pan with rack and water in a second side pan. Wrap some wood chips- hickory is traditional - in foil, put on the grill (punch some holes in the foil), and cook for about 4 to 6 hours, depending on the size of the shoulder. This is the 'quick' pulled pork method. The sauce goes on the side. Hope that you like it.

Lexington Sauce:

2-1/2 Cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 Cup tomato ketsup
2 -3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 -2 Tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (Crystal or similar)
1/2 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke (Hickory)
4 Teaspoons of salt
4 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 Bay leaf
1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Teaspoon ground white pepper
1-1/2 Teaspoons of the dry rub used on the pork shoulder

I heat the vinegar, add all the ingredients and stir until smooth. Then I put it in a clean jar, allow it to cool, and put it in the fridge for storage. When serving, warm the sauce and provide individual side bowls for dipping the pulled pork.

This sounds pretty damn good Mike! Just might have to give your recipe a try! Unless you plan on being up here anytime soon :wings:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Braggs vinegar?

Braggs Liquid Aminos. Its kind of a general purpose liquid seasoning. It tastes a little like soy sauce but not as strong, so it goes good in anything you would normally put soy sauce in (soup, marinades, rice) and it has no added sodium so it is a bit healthier. I haven't bought actual soy sauce in years, I always use the Braggs.

CJCA

Adventurer
Lately I've developed a taste for this stuff. Pour it on everything. Didn't hurt that it was on sale for 99¢ a bottle.

Hot sauce made with chiles and spices, also called Mexican salsa picante. Bufalo Classica style. Mexico's favorite hot sauce.

mex-grocer_2088_152406950

telwyn

Adventurer
We discovered Trinidad Charlie's Pumpkin Sauce on a trip to the US Virgin Islands. Despite his name, he grows the ingredients and makes it in St. John. We brought back a ton, used it all and now mail order from his site - http://www.trinidadcharlie.com/hot-sauce.htm . Has a great blend of habanero with sufficient pumpkin to cool it to palatable levels.

Give it a shot. We put it on everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne