95 2 Door Tahoe SAS project

wrench-head

Observer
Well since you guys asked for more pics of the SAS on the Tahoe and specs, I figured I would start a new thread to keep the "fullsize rigs" post clean. So, where to start. I will list what is has and then post the pics. Start:

-95 Tahoe
-350 TBI motor with power bowl, 1 inch spacer, stock rest
-Offroad Design Motor Mounts for 88-98 trucks
-Hooker Headers
-Full mandrel bent 2 1/2 exhaust with dual cats, dual magnaflows, and a H-Pipe behind T-case
-NV4500 swap with LUK pro-gold clutch
-NP241 with JB conversions Slip yoke eliminator and driveline e-brake from highangledriveline
-Front and rear 1350 CV driveshafts with 1350 at the axles
-Rear 14 bolt full float with 4.56s and open, Offroad Design Disk Brake kit
-Offroad Design traction bar for a 73-91 K5 blazer, perfect fit to factory crossmember
-Front 78 Dana 44 High Pinion with 4.56s and open, hybrid of ford centers, early gm knuckles (flat tops) and late model gm outers (internal hubs)
-Trail ready HD17 beadlocks, 17X8.5 with 4.5" backspacing and have not leaked a bit for almost a year now
-37x12.50 BFG Mud Terrains KM2s
-LightForce 170 Strikers wired in with the OEM harness
-ARB bullbar with M12000
-1 inch body lift from Offroad Design
-Temporary rear bumper made of 2X6 tube
-Line-X Bedliner on Rocker panels
-Interior is sound deadened with dynamat, dynafoam
-Carpet was replaced with Vinyl Flooring
-Medium Duty GM truck handles
-Factory New Bucket seats and console installed instead of 60/40
-20% Tint to match Factory rear glass
-Dual Optima Yellow Tops in Factory trays with 2 gauge wire and military terminals
-Updated interior lights to 96-99 domes
-Later Model Steering Wheel
-10 Inch Subwoofer hidden behind interior panel (Sorry need some to sleep to or wake up)
-Removed ABS and AIR bag SRS systems
-New APEUSA 190L/HR fuel pump
-Offroad Design brake lines all around

-SUSPENSION (what everyone wants to know)
-Rear is stock Springs with Offroad Design Shacle Flip and Offroad Design zero rate to center in wheel well
-Rear shocks are 2 bilstein 7100 short body 14" travel with 275/80 valving
-Rear Polyurethane bumpstomps

-Front is Offroad Unlimited SAS hangers and Spring plates
-Offroad Design custom springs through Alcan for the Tahoes weight and lengths (266 lb/in at 48.5" long with 1 inch forward axle mount)
-1 1/4 Sway bar from Stock Car Products
-4 Bilstein 7100 short body 14" travel with 170/60 valving
-Polyurethane bumpstops

-Steering is Stock box with Offroad Design Pitman arm, Drag Link, and steering arm for Dana 44

-All bushings and mounts are polyurethane

Stephen at Offroad Design knows what I did and has the recipe for my springs, if any of you want info on my swap you can write me or call him. He is a great guy looking to get away from just hardcore rock crawling and into this area. He started on his blazer looking to just camp and now it is a buggy. He is looking for marketable ideas in the expo rig area.

...OK so now pics

Last edited:

wrench-head

Observer
Pics 001

As Purchased...Short lived...

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

p1010019.jpg

p1010020.jpg

p1010021.jpg

tahoe2.jpg

tahoe3.jpg

tahoe4.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Nice, nice, NICE Tahoe. I wish mine had a 5 speed.....and a SAS. Very well done, kudos. Thanks for sharing details.

wrench-head

Observer
Tahoe reply

Thank you for the compliments... you're the inspiration for my rear bumper and possibly the snorkel. I have been following your posts for a while.
-Alex

boellis87

Observer
I said it before in the full-size pic thread, that thing is clean! I was talking mostly about the sas, but after seeing the inside and underneath, I now realize you had a heck of place to start too. Looks like you started with a like-new rig. How many miles did that have on it when you did the swap? Hope my swap turns out half that well. Thanks for the pics and info.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Again VERY VERY nice rig. Looks like you have all the right stuff in all the right places. I especially like the 4500 and the new in 95 interior :drool:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Great build, very well thought out! I used to work for ORU, so I recognized the kit immediately!

wrench-head

Observer
Future Updates

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I forgot to post up the updates sitting in my garage.

-RD114 ARB Air Locker for a GM 14 Bolt
-RD167 ARB Air Locker for a Ford High Pinion Dana 60
-High Pinion Dana 60 completely sand blasted and rebuilt
-4.88 Gears for both of the above axles
-ARB Fridge/Freezer
-Rebuilt Hydroboost Brake Booster
-Full PSC Power steering system (IFS Box doesn't like no assist, not a strong design as the older trucks)
-Freshly rebuilt 454 Motor, stock build on Gen VI platform, with all new 454 TBI components. Goal is to swap in and swap chip, then done. Has edelbrock 3764 intake, roller rockers, factory roller cam setup, 9.1:1 compression, Comp 264HR-13 cam, long tube headers to come

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Wrench-head,

Great work with very tasteful upgrades! 1995 was the last year you could get a 5-speed in a 2 door Tahoe. Albeit a NV3500, but at least it was a manual. I worked at GM in Detroit in vehicle sales, service and marketing during this time frame and had exposure to the production numbers back then which was less than 1,000 5 speeds in 1995 for Tahoe’s. Most of which were plain-Jane 1SA work trucks for export to the Middle East.

Look me up if you ever head to down this way. I would love to see your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles