lift/leveling kits

03denalisuv

probably a dumb question, but i wont know till i ask.

what's the difference between a 3 inch lift kit vs a 2.5 inch leveling kit.
obviously the price is vastly different ($1600 for 3 in lift vs $230 for 2.5 in level) and the new components added in a lift, but what is the actual height gained from either if the stock 265/70r17 tires are retained. and for non aggressive on/off-road driving which is recommended?

iigs

Observer
As far as I know, leveling kits just change the stance of a pickup/SUV to make it ride level when unloaded. This is generally done (again, as far as I know) by changing the front suspension settings. The rear is left alone.

A lift, on the other hand, will raise the front and rear by roughly the amount stated.

Take a look at your vehicle on flat level ground and determine if it would have the look (and front ground clearance) you desire by making the front as tall as the back. If so, go the leveling kit route. If not, you'll need a lift kit.

The rear suspension of an unloaded truck/utility vehicle tends to have less available down travel (the suspension is almost all the way up) than desired for complex off road situations. A leveling kit, if anything, may make the front the same way. In that regard a leveling kit is kind of a poser modification unless you have a specific use case in mind.

Desert Dan

Explorer
What type of rig do you have?

IFS front end?

A leveling kit may just be spacers "hocky pucks" under the front coils.

Some vehicles have the nose down rake so that when loaded the vehicle sits level.

daniel3507

Observer
Leveling kit bumps the front up to even it with the back. Like Dan said, usually just a spacer under the front coils. They also have spacer coils though.

Rot Box

Explorer
On torsion bar IFS rigs (like an 03 Denali would have) the leveling kit will twist the torsion bars to raise the front suspension to match the rear. You can pay money for torsion bar "keys" or you can gain raise it up to 2" for free if you adjust what is currently there (adjustment bolt on the rear of the torsion bar).

There are two problems with this. First would be you loosing a ride quality and the already limited suspension droop becomes almost non existent. Second leveling the vehicle is fine when it remains unloaded, but once you add weight your rear will squat and the front will now ride higher. You could help that with rear add a leafs or air bags though...

With a lift or leveling kit you will need to add in the cost of a professional alignment.

OTR

Adventurer
With a leveling kit you'll gain an increase in ground clearance in two ways
1. Increasing the height of the truck 2.5"
2. If you increase the size of the tire 1-2", you'll also get an extra .5-1.0" of ground clearence.
The pro's of a leveling kit are: cost.
The con's are: decreased suspension travel.

For looks and mild off-roading I would go with the leveling kit. This is my limited knowledge and opinion, take it at will:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior