No pics, but in the next few days I am going to get it out to the painter. Its been stuck in the garage for 2 months now. Be nice to get it out and painted. The roof rack mount is welded up. Just need to drill the holes. I will install the LED lights after its painted. Just havn't found any LED lights I like yet.
I get some pics up in the next few days of the progress.
Any more updates. I love this thing and I will be buying one because of this thread.
Any more pictures of the inside construction.
I was out working on it and now its pouring down rain! So that sounds like a good time to get some pictures up on here. Give me about an hour.
I will try to get it mounted on the truck in the morning. I will update for now what has been done.
The bright Stainless handles had to be toned down. I don’t really have any chrome on the truck. Started out with self etching primer and roughing up the surface.
After applying about 6 coats of LOW gloss black I think its good.
Here is a before and after
Next I removed the door plunger type stoppers that keep the door open. I am installing gas shocks on each door to open it and keep it open when it’s windy out. So the holes needed to be filled in on both doors, 8 holes in all.
Here is a shot before it was painted. I also have the rack mount mocked up and sitting in place here.
What I came up with for the rack is kind of different than what most of the aluminum caps have. Most caps come with vertical bars that come down onto the side of the body. Looks not so great but holds the weight good. So I started trying to find a way to hold the weight without big bars coming down the sides. What I was first looked at doing was running a support inside the cap from the front to the back on both sides to hold the racks weight. But after thinking it over I did not like all the space this would take up inside when it could go on top of the cap. Plus I would loose space were I could be insulating the cap.
So on top it went. This bar is 1/8" wall 1”x3”x almost 7 feet long. One on each side and super strong when it all gets bolted together. Best part is nothing hanger down on the sides of the cap. The outside rack bars will bolt directly into 3/16" thick plates welded to the inside frame on each end of the cap. Plus the rack bars run over a frame piece just under the tool boxes, adding to the strength.
This rack mount exoskeleton works out great for my next idea I was trying to get worked out. A rear awning and storage for the awning poles. The 1”x3” bars will house the pull out awning poles. At first I wanted to have the awning full together at all times and slide between the rack mount but it worked out to be to narrow. So next best thing is just sliding the awning material on after the poles are pulled out. These awning poles will only add the strength of the rack mount in the stored position.
Here a mock up of the poles sliding out of the rack mount.
And one more shot with some wood poles used to test the lenght they will pull out. I am thinking I will have a covered area about 3 feet by 6 feet. Don't let the wood sagging fool you....
OK your almost caught up....It’s now a beautiful Toreador red with all black trim!!! I need to put the cap together in the morning and get it mounted up. I need to get all the doors back on and insulated. I am also working on a better way to mount the cap. Most places just drill holes and bolt it down. I am going to try to clamp it down; less holes drilled the better IMO….
Edit:The big hold up on getting this cap done is to many projects!! I am in the middle of Bushwacker cut out flares, 37 BFG Baja's with double beadlock wheels and a new Warn winch bumper.
Last edited by Bella PSD; 05-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Did you make any progress over the weekend on your projects.
Id like to see any more progress too. This is still one of my favorite builds, as its fairly simple and useful.. and what Im still thinking about doing with my truck.
I will definitely be watching this thread, I just picked one of these toppers up for my GMC Sierra and I'll be building it out for camping/hunting and mild expo use. I practically stole mine (paid $225), so I'm giddy to be rid of the fiberglass topper that came on the truck, these DCU's are really well built. Mine has the factory aluminum ladder rack on the top, my plan is to attach my Yakima Mega Warrior rack to that and fab my own mounts for the axe/shovel and hi-lift, as well as lights. Unfortunately my rack was damaged, but I was able to source the necessary aluminum and I have a friend that can TIG 1/16" wall aluminum, so it's all good.
Last edited by 96discoXD; 07-28-2010 at 01:16 PM.