new here from CA.

brownhunter

so i want to start going up into the mountains in winter. i fish, so i want to get the lakes with 14ft my boat. i dont really have any over the snow experience. what do i need and need to know? i have 95 pathfinder. i was told i need a winch and a grill to hook it up 2. i need a locker for my rear axel. i have a good come-along.
what pound winch do i need?

any other suggestions and pointers?

thanks all,

Scott Brady

Founder
Welcome to the forum. If I was going to the mountains for fishing and hunting then this would be my recommendation:

Good front bumper with winch mount
8,000 LB Warn or EP9,000 Superwinch
Good all-terrain tires (265/75 R16)
Chains
CB or 2M Radio
Front and Rear tow points
Recovery kit

That's it :)

Lockers and lifts, etc. are not necessary for your backcountry goals and just add complexity and cost and reduce reliability.

Scott Brady

Founder
31x10.5's are perfect for the Pathfinder

Recovery Kit:

Pully Block
Recovery Strap
(2) 3/4" Shackles
Tree Saver
Gloves
Line Dampener

Both Extreme Outback Products and Viking Off-Road sell great kits.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
brownhunter said:
i need a locker for my rear axel

Every situation is different, but a locker can be a hindrance in the snow and slippery conditions. If you suffer from a lack of traction, two spinning tires on the same axle could cause your vehicle to slide sideways on slopes and varied terrain. With an open differential, the tire that isn't under power is your positive traction which helps your vehicle hold its course.

brownhunter

so locker or no locker? one guy told me yes, now its no?
i have a hook thing on the front my ride under the bumper, isnt that a good tow point? or do i need a front hitch? but isnt the winch a good tow point?
how much are recovery kits?
ive been told its good to have chains on the boat trailor tires, or is that 4 bigger boats, cuz mine isnt that big or heavy, under 1000#s.

thanks all

Scott Brady

Founder
brownhunter said:
so locker or no locker? one guy told me yes, now its no?

Be careful taking advice from the "hard core" crowd, as most have lost site of the fact that a stock, high clearance 4wd with good tires can do 99% of the Forest Service Roads... In reality, you are not wanting to do technical fourwheeling, but access remote fishing and hunting spots on forest service roads and secondary trails. Certainly not something lockers are required for. Focus on the important basics and save your money for that new GPS or Rangefinder :)

brownhunter said:
i have a hook thing on the front my ride under the bumper, isnt that a good tow point? or do i need a front hitch? but isnt the winch a good tow point?

Sounds like you have a recovery point on the frame. You can attach a picture for us to be sure (as some are only lashing points for transport)

brownhunter said:
how much are recovery kits?
ive been told its good to have chains on the boat trailor tires, or is that 4 bigger boats, cuz mine isnt that big or heavy, under 1000#s.

thanks all

recovery kits are around $200 for the quality ones. Unfortunately, "bargain" recovery gear is not a safe idea.

Check your state chain regulations. Some states require chains on all tires (including the trailer). In most cases, as long as the vehicles rear tires are chained, you are ok for roadways with a trailer.

brownhunter

thanks, yeah im not leaving the forest roads paved and unpaved. i know others have beed going to these lakes now, ill be driving on their snow tracks, i just havnt dared yet.

ill post a pic tomarrow.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Finding a winch mount bumper for your Pathfinder may be difficult. You can always go with a custom bumper. I think Warn may make a winch mount for the Pathfinder that bolts to the frame.

The other option would be a front hitch receiver and a winch mounted on a receiver plate. Something like this: http://fmtc.com/~brule/hitch.html

Make sure someone responsible knows where you are going and when you will return. Don't radically change your plans unless you notify them.

I would also consider taking a basic class where they teach recovery techniques if you are not overly familiar with the use of the winch.

Catch lots of fish, preferably trout, and take lots of pictures! Mmm, trout.

brownhunter

near sacramento.

i also hear its good to have the tires air pressue down.

ture?

its 50psi on my tires.

also whats good snow conditions for driving on and whats not? also is it time to leave when a storm comes in? is i bad to go in during a strom? i would think so. but what if its a light storm.

Clutch

<---Pass
brownhunter said:
near sacramento.

also whats good snow conditions for driving on and whats not? also is it time to leave when a storm comes in? is i bad to go in during a strom? i would think so. but what if its a light storm.
I perfer nasty bad weather, but, that is just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles