98 dodge diesel quad cab

esde

Hey everyone, first post here. I have a unimog 416, and just bought a 98 dodge 2500 quad cab with the Cummins diesel, last year of the 12v engine. I'm currently building a flat/ dump bed for it, 6' wide x 7' long, with removable drop sides and am considering building a camper to sit on the flat bed. It would be for 4-5 days at a time for my wife, daughter and I, and before I go asking a zillion questions: is there a site that will show some of the build possibilities, so that I can browse at will. I don't want a pop up, but have considered a hinged setup, similar to an old VW Westfalia pop up to get headroom. Thinking that a side panel might be hinged on the top to fold up and out like an awning, have a little shelf under to set up kitchen, won't be doing any cold weather camping so more room inside. Considering one of these for heat/ cooking, picked it up from ebay for $75 and it runs on diesel!
http://www.lampenkueche.de/pdf/MBU.pdf
Pardon any newbieness, I used to camp in tents, but my wife has recently grown out of it. Seth

esde

Copied this from where I posted it over on my unimog site:
Somewhat OT, as this will be for my Dodge (wife won't ride in the mog), but as expedition boxes seem to be a recurring topic I'll ask here. I priced out building my own box with aluminum frame, and aluminum skinned honeycomb panels: Over 5K, not including my time and **** I've forgotten to tally in. Found these on Govliquidation, rated to -60, weighs 600 lbs as is.

Specs can be found here
http://www.gichner.us/hmmwv_shelters_788.html
and here
http://www.gichner.us/hmmwv_shelters_710.html
Any feedback? I'm thinking of using one as the base for a simple camper, think week long trips as they look solidly built, especially for the price they will probably and typically sell for. And it's close, 2 hours at most. Also, I've never bought from Govliquidation, can anyone give me a rundown of the rules, process? If there are any hoops to jump through, is there anyone who deals with them that might help me out, compensated of course? I've built a flatbed for the back of my dodge that mounts just like the Mog 3 way dump bed on a lower pivot frame. My intentions are to be able to remove the flatbed, and mount the camper in it's place for trips, or maybe build a set of jacks for the box. That way I could jack the camper up on site, and drive the truck out from under for exploring. A bit OT I know, but similar to some discussion that's here regularly.TIA.

Any thoughts on using one of these as the base for a camper?

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i know this is old. but you realize the military MBU's are kinds expensive right? did you make any progress on this build?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off Esde, welcome to the site. There is an unspoken rule here, `POST LOTS OF PICS´ So please let us see pics of your fine rigs, both the Dodge and the Unimog!:Wow1: But beware, I know many Cummins owners that would rather sleep with their Cummins than with their wifes...:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior