Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Fugly

Adventurer
Iain..
Good to see the Mog starting to come together....
i have been following this for a while ...

Cheers Fugly..

krl81

Adventurer
Nice nice nice! :)
Just a small thought. Don't change the LEDs to blue. As blue light is very visible at night and is (at least to me) very annoying. I've owned more than one car stereo with blue light and have always found it very annoying because the blue light always is there in the corner of my eye.
But it looks godd though. :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Impressive roof console! I made one for my vario as well, but its a small fart compared to this one:)

Thanks, like most things on this build, I have gone a bit over the top with it :)

Nice nice nice! :)
Just a small thought. Don't change the LEDs to blue. As blue light is very visible at night and is (at least to me) very annoying. I've owned more than one car stereo with blue light and have always found it very annoying because the blue light always is there in the corner of my eye.
But it looks godd though. :)

The blue light will only be for when the spotlights or roof light are on, more of a reminder of which one I have switched on, as it will be pretty difficult not to realise that I have them on. The spotlight only come on with the high beams, which has a big blue indicator on the dash, so they will give the same message. The backlighting will be the same as the other switches.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Just a quick update. The dash is finished, and off to the upholsterers. Took a bit of metal working to get something I was happy with.

The instrument panel has been extended to incorporate new gauges and to raise the main instruments up to make them easier to see.

DSC05967.jpg

In order to cover the top of the binnacle, I had to make a frame to match the instrument panel.
DSC05963.jpg

Then cover the frame with metal

DSC05969.jpg

The lots of filling and sanding

DSC05974.jpg

The end result looks like it came out of a factory I think.

DSC05977.jpg

There is a sun shade over the warning light and instruments. I used a torch to simulate bright sunlight coming in from the window, and the little overhang is all that was needed to shade all the instruments.

DSC05985.jpg

After all the sanding and painting, it was off to the upholsterers to get covered in a nice blue grey vinyl that is as close as I could get to the heater unit. I tried painting it, but could not get a decent colour match, and the texture was all wrong. I will cover the whole dash, instrument panel and glove box with the vinyl.

DSC06017.jpg

I also go another delivery this weekend past. Transported on the back of a U1700, was my new motor and fast axles. They used the crane on the back of the U1700 to unload them.

DSC06002.jpg

I have a set of U1250 high speed axles and a new engine.

DSC06006.jpg

This is the most import part - high speed U1250 axles are pretty rare, and I was lucky to get them, could not pass them up.

DSC06030.jpg

and this is the new engine. It was supposed to be a modern block with oil squirters to cool the pistons, however I opened up the sump and there were not oil squirters. Lucky for me the guy I bought the engine from is going to machine in the galleries for the oil squirters, so all will be good, just take a bit longer.

DSC06022.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
DSC06022.jpg

I wondered where that wrench went. How it got from California to Oz I'll never know.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Motor is a OM352, I would need to change too many things if I had a 366 block/head, unless I was able to get a complete motor. I think mine will be as good is not better than the OM366 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke