Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Iain_U1250

Explorer
OK, here are the first two videos of my engine rebuild.

Part 1 - The Cylinder Head

Part 2 - The Block is currently being uploaded into Youtube, but it is pretty big - 2 GB - 17Min long, next time I'll break it up into smaller bits,

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Just a quick update to show I am actually working on the truck.

This is the rear end, with all the lights fitted. I just need to add a couple of cover plates on the outer edges, and tidy up the wiring behind the number plate / rear storage tube cover.
2015-08-28 14.16.30.jpg
1576705d1440054212-my-camper-project-file-20-08-2015-4-50

and i have also finished the wiring of all the switches in the overhead console.

1576649d1440048160t-what-did-you-do-your-unimog-file-20-08-2015-2-19

2015-08-20 14.16.44.jpg
Switches are from Left to Right

Left Window
Map Light
High Level Rear Flood Lights and Reverse beeper
Radio / CB
Mirror Heaters
Interior Light
Flood Lights either side of the cab
Front Fog/Daytime Running Lights
Rear Fog Light
Front Roof Mounted Hella Flood Lights
Front Roof Mounted Hella Spot Lights
Right Window.

Some of the switches have dual functions, and are progressive, like the Radio/CB, fist position switches the radio on, second position adds the CB radio. The way the radio works is that it switches on and off from the accessory position, but I want it to be able to have it on without having the key on. To switch the radio off you have to hold the button for three seconds, which is a pain, so I added a switch, and it was easy to add the CB to it as well. The CB microphone will come out the alternative connection on the rear of the unit, with the wires coming out the side of the console to keep the wire out the way. The reverse beeper is on a similar switch, first position switches on the high level rear flood lights, and the second position puts the reverse beep in parallel with the reverse light - so it will only beep when in reverse as the beeper is very loud.

I have a 30W LED flood light either side of the cab, first of the switch if for the passenger side, the second position adds the drivers side light. These will also come on when I press the central locking/alarm remote to unlock the door. Just another of the toys I have added to my mog.

Last edited:

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Great work Ian, your updates are allways very impressive, and to me they are allso a great source for inspiration regarding the camper buildt I am about to tackle my self!:)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Quick update, the dash is now finished, glove box all installed and

2015-09-11 18.18.58.jpg

We fully carpeted the glove box inside, and added a dual USB charger as well. There are also two USB connection to the sound system.

2015-09-11 18.21.08.jpg

I had to make a new striker plate for the glove box lock, so that it would work with all the extra padding.

2015-09-11 18.21.37.jpg

I also have sorted out the electric seats, they are from a Range Rover Vogue, and were linked to the "Body Control Module", and since I don't have one of these, I had to rewire them so they would work without it. They are pretty fancy seats, the base can raise up and down, tilt forward or rear. The rear has an air pump that inflates a bladder for the lumbar support and even the head rests are electric :)

DSC06934.JPG

I removed all the relays and the wiring for the sensors for the "Memory" system, as that works with the "body control module".
DSC06929.JPG

We are re-dying both the front seats and the rear seats to match the overhead console, and have replaced the foam in the base. All the seats are now getting their "Leatherique" treatment, first stage in re-dyeing them. That's why the seat bases are completely stripped down, and it makes it a lot easier to carry them in an out. The seats are also heated, but I will need to get some form of thermostat or time to control the temperature otherwise we will get cooked, this was something the "Body Control Module" took care of according to the wiring diagrams I found for the Range Rover seats.

I have run out of terminals on the firewall, but luckily I don't need any more :) The last two circuits was one for the the reverse beeper, this I can switch on or off from a switch on the overhead console. This is the second function of the switch that controls the high level rear floodlights. The final circuit was for a warning light on the dash ( which I'm still waiting for it to arrive) that will show me if any of the rear compartment doors are open.

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
No, we used a thinner marine carpet, the ones on the rear wall of the cab is a lot thicker, and not as flexible. We will use this carpet to line the drawers in the camper as well.

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Major milestone today, I've started the new engine . :) For the first time in over 6 years the engine in my mog is running.

Now I need to put on all the extra stuff I took off to replace the motor, fit the new front axle and then I should be on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online