Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We are currently on a six week shake down trip in the Mog, I've updated my blog Iain and Trish's Unimog Adventures with all the latest details and will keep that update as we go.

I fitted a second set of brake callipers to the rear axle, and with some re-plumbing of the brake lines, we were able to get a GVM upgrade to 8000kg. We were close to 7500kg when fully loaded, and with two passengers, and some extra kit, we would have been over the limit. We should be fine with the extra 500kg though.

2016-01-13%2B12.43.07.jpg

The truck is working great, and we are having a fantastic time. We can cruise on the freeways around 90-95kph quick comfortable, and I've taken it up to 125kph with my foot flat to the floor. Way to fast for a Unimog I think. We struggle a bit up the steep hills, down to around 60kph, but then so are the other trucks. Having the extra horsepower is great, can't think how bad it would be with only 125hp when we are fully loaded.

Ipad.jpg

In the tighter twisty roads, I sit around 85-90kph. We drove around 20km up a dirt road this morning, I thought it was not too bad and was doing around 60kph , but we were catching up the other cars and 4wd on the road, and they all pulled over to let us through - must be the scary sight in the rear view mirror of a big Unimog catching them, probably the only time that is going to happen :smiley_drive:

So far the truck has proven to be watertight, we have been through some big storms, and have been rained in for to days. It was great to just be sitting or lying reading, warm and dry whilst all the other people in the camp ground have been cold, wet and miserable. :)

Rainy%2Bday.jpg

Things that I will be fixing when we get back:

1. Second Alternator - it does not charge more the 20A at idle, and less at higher engine speeds. Something must be wrong, but not sure what. I can still charge the house batteries from the main alternator with the flick of a switch, so no real hassle, just an irritation.
2. More batteries. I got my GVM upgrade to 8000kg, and we have found that 300AH is just not enough for more than three days of camping with overcast/shade. I have a spare Optima 31T, so might buy another one and take out battery storage up to 450AH.

3. Storage bag for the back of the truck. We have a rack to hold various things, and the lower storage pods at the rear are currently full of lightweight ground sheets and tarps. They are bulky items and always dirty, but will easily fit in a bag on the rear rack. Then some of the heavier stuff can go down low.

Hobart%2BBeach%2BCamp%2B3.jpg

4. ARB Air Twin compressor - the relays on the compressor have died - going to put a 100A solid state relay in place of the crappy 40A ones ARB fitted - and the compressors draw 38A each, so no wonder the relays died, running at maximum load all the time. I only use it for a quick get-away, so I don't have to idle the truck for too long as the air system goes down to around 5PSI after 3 days or so, just can't seem to find the air leak.

5. Rear winch tray and gas bottle storage. I'll finish the rear winch tray and add some brackets to store the gas bottles on the back of the truck, I can carry them in the lower storage pods, the are properly ventilated according to Australian Standard safety regulations, but it make more sense to have them outside.

Shadey%2Bpanels.jpg

We are also going to get a couple of extra solar panels that we can move around, so many times we have been a few metres away from full sun, as most camp ground seen to have shade over the sites. A couple of 130W panels, and 10m of wire and we could be charging up the batteries a lot quicker, and since we use a lot of power with the bread maker, Nespresso machine and the big 27" computer monitor, we can do with the extra power.

This trip we are determined to keep fit, and Trish has packed the TRX straps and we do a workout every second day. It is great way to stay in shape on the road, and the strap take up next to no space. Mog's roof rack makes an ideal support.

TRX%2B1.jpg

All in all we are having a great time, visiting some special places

Beach%2B3.jpg

meeting some of the locals, some more friendlier than others

Snake%2B1-1.jpg

We are really looking forward to the end of school holidays then the camp grounds will empty a lot, and all the screaming kids and babies will hopefully go home,. I am typing this to the tune of a screaming toddler whose parents don't seem to care that their brat is disturbing the entire camp ground for the past hour. Luckily I can just close the window and the noise will be greatly reduced, but I feel sorry for those in tents.

Hobart%2BBeach%2BCamp.jpg

In general it has been good, and we are relaxing and taking load of photos :)

Rock%2BPool%2B1-1.jpg

and having a really awesome time

Last edited:

mrFelix

Observer
re batteries........I thought you would have gone with Lifepo4 given the amount and quality of work you have put in, you seem to have some hungry appliances there.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
At the time the LiPo4 batteries were ridiculously expensive, I did design the battery boxes to take them ,but since I had bought 6 Optima 31Ts, I thought it best to give them a try. Once they become a bit cheaper and these Optimas wear out, I will swap over to LiPo4s.

pairospam

Observer
No matter how thougtful you were at the designing table, there will always be something to change, cut, hide, stretch, paint or replace. Good for the Mog.
Enjoy your toy. Makes me feel happy for you, guys.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have solved our power problem for now, with the addition of three 100W portable solar panels. I got the lightweight flexible ones, and mounted them to aluminium frames which I made from Tubelock. Got some strange looks from the fellow campers when I set up the tables and pulled a drill and angle grinder out of the tool bag. They are really light, and easy to lift on and off the roof of the truck using a rope to lower it down. Each panel has it's own MMPT controller stuck on the back. When we get home we will make up a storage bag for them, but right now we use a yoga mat to protect them from the ties downs and tree branches.

South--Point-Hike-00226-Edit.jpg

We have been driving for quite a bit, and the batteries have always been charged either from the alternator or the bit of solar we get during the day. After a 5 hour video and photo editing session, and quite a few coffees yesterday, the batteries were down to 70%. This morning I tested the panels for the first time in the weak Victorian sun at 8:30AM before we moved on down the Great Ocean Road.

2016-02-05-08.35.47.jpg

The system was putting 18A into the batteries, which is great. The three panels putting out around 5A each, the roof top panels were at the wrong angle and in part shade, but helping a bit with around 3A. With this new system, we would have our batteries fully charged in about 4 hours,

File-5-02-2016,-8-42-24-AM.jpg

We are using the diesel stove almost every night down here - too cold to cook outside. It works great, last night we had steak and chips, and it was real easy to cook the steak just as we like it - medium rare.

2016-02-04-18.37.50.jpg

We are having a great time, really enjoying driving around in the Unimog. It attracts a lot of attention, nearly all of it good, and I am used to the "handling"of the truck that wallows around like a hippo on the twisty back roads. We can't wait to get away from the tourist attractions and get into the outback, onto some dirt roads to see how well it performs in condition that it was build for.

Mog-Trip-1-00328-Edit.jpg

We have spent a few days down at Wilson's Promentary, great place and the weather luckily has been good.

Two days ago we made it down to South Point, the most southern point on the Australian Mainland, so that completes the set, we have been to all for extremes, North, South, East and West. We spent the night in a two man tent with just a space blanket and a sleeping bag, and it was so nice to get back to the truck and sleep on a really comfortable mattress. It was worth the 45km hike and the discomfort to complete the set though.

South-Point.jpg

Currently we are down the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. The scenery is great, and we got a couple of flights in with our Phantom drone. The scenery is great , but the wind picks up around lunchtime and makes things pretty cool.

Mog-Trip-1-0626-Pano.jpg

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Yes, it was about 100m offshore - had to stay below the level of the cliff as there were helicopters around, they are not allowed lower than 500m, and I have to stay below 120m, but to be safe from their down-drafts I kept it around 40m maximum.

Sitting here this morning with no clouds and we are getting 24A into the batteries, so we are very happy with the sytem, just need to see how it performs in overcast conditions

mrFelix

Observer
re that diesel cooktop..............looks somewhat bigger than the webasto can you give us a bit of info on it?
thanks

Sitec

Adventurer
Trip sounds like its going well. I'm liking that diesel stove top! Are you getting as far as the Barossa/Adelaide Hills? I'd be keen to catch up if you were and I'm guessing Spudboy would be too!! We don't have much of a place to offer at the moment as we are building, but you are welcome if you need a stop in the Barossa.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for the invitation, we are going to visit Spudboy on Tuesday :) Spending the evening at his place then off to his secret spot on the Yorke Peninsular, we are staying at another Unimog owners farm tomorrow night near Langhorne Creek, and only getting to Dave's place in the evening when he gets home. We are at South End now, going to follow the coast road to Tailen bend then across the ferry to Langhorne Creek. It's not far to Dave's place, so it looks like we will have the afternoon free on Tuesday, we have a bit of stocking up to do in the morning but could stop by after than, you around then?

Sitec

Adventurer
I certainly could be. We are about an hour from Dave's place, but I could head out and meet you before you get to Dave's. I finish work around 4pm, so could buzz over his way for around 5 and find you..

Sitec

Adventurer
Quick catchup.

It was great to meet you guys and look over your home! Thanks for letting me have a look over it! Many an hour of hard work has gone into it, and it looks like you're loving it! A few hours in the Adelaide Hills, drinking cider and talking trucks! Truck heaven! Wish I was at the stage where I am building mine!! Thanks again! image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior