Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

S2DM

Adventurer
Amen. We just pushed our departure date back for the third time. And I have been working 1/2 time for a year and full time the last 3 months.

pairospam

Observer
Guys, be happy! You have been mind and hands busy for quiet a long time! This is good.

I bought the truck in 2010, and been working on it since then part-time, and sometimes few-or-no-time also. The initial date for finishing the project was december 2012, he, he.

When I finish I have a house to build, a 6x6 Chevy Blazer conversion to finish and a world to travel.

Just keep going. It is worth doing it, even if you never get the engine running out of the garage.

Cheers.

Pairoa

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I must admit that i really enjoy building the truck, for me it is like therapy. it is great to be able to do things myself, and get things done the way I want them to be done. I am really looking forward to a break from work, this last contract has been particularly difficult and extremely frustrating.

I am also easily distracted, and getting new toys like my DJI Phantom drone, more camera gear and a Land Rover Discovery 3 for my wife. As usual, I could not help myself, just had to make it a bit special for her, so for the last month or so, that's been the main focus of my effort, that's when I am not learning to fly the quadcopter or taking more photos of my favourite subject with my new cameras LOL. I promise I'll post some before and after photos will be here soon, just have to finish putting it all back together again. :) it will be a bit different to my other builds as she wanted it to be "Civilised".

Here is the "before" picture

normal_10801504_10204125669595090_6735147302103073459_n.jpg

nick disjunkt

Adventurer

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Brief update

Just a brief update of what has been going on. All going well I will be full time on the truck after Easter. I have not done much work at all for the last few weeks as I have been working on my wife's new car, but that is almost finished.

I managed to get some time in this weekend, and made some progress at last. I made up the replacement spring retaining plates for the rear axle. I used 12mm thick steel, which will give me around 30mm extra lift than the stock support.

DSC06308.jpg

Whist I have the torque tubes off, I will replace the output seals on the transfer case, not a big job and give some peace of mind.

DSC06290.jpg

The dash is also in, an I am pretty pleased with the result.

DSC06334.jpg

I need to get my new steering wheel sorted before I fit all the warning light, have to make sure I can see them all.

DSC06325.jpg

The engine block is now back from getting machined for the oil squirters.

squirters 2.jpg

squirters 3.jpg

Squirters 1.jpg

squirters 4.jpg

The squirters cool the underside of the pistons, and are fitted to all the mogs over 170hp. with the new turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, I should be at around 200hp so they will be pretty useful in making the engine last.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I already have an uprated pump, but you will need it if you have the standard low HP pump. As I have change the turbo from an oil cooled bush type to a water cooled ball bearing turbo, I have had to fit a restriction into the oil line to limit the flow, so I think I might have quite high oil pressure, hopefully not too high.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Finally finished my wife's car. :)

D3-After.jpg

Colour coded all the plastic, new grill, black 20" wheels, tinted windows, Kenwood double din radio, GOE suspension height adjustors (for an extra 65mm lift when necessary) , D4 LED tail lights, EGR blanking kit and BAS remap. It goes great, super quiet and really comfortable. Most important thing is that she loves it :)

Here is the "before" picture

normal_10801504_10204125669595090_6735147302103073459_n.jpg

Really looking forward to full time work on the truck in a few weeks time :)

Kiomon

Adventurer
Ian, your builds rocks! For your rear suspension, which springs do you have? Are they the 'Heavy Duty' from Merc or did you change them out for the springs from AV?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have the original spring, they have the inner helper springs. They managed to handle all the rail gear, cherry picker and crane, so I am hoping they will be good enough for my camper. If not, I will get some from Ben at Unimog Central, he has been getting springs made to upgrade the ADF military Unimog. I will get him to get some made for me if necessary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier