1988 1 ton suburban buildup

xpndbl3

Adventurer
This is a few pics and details of my 88 3/4 ton suburban sitting on 4.10 geared dana 60/14bff axles with sky crossover, diy4x shackle flip in the rear with 6" cross tied shackle, poly bushings, greaseable bolts and a zero rate. Truck is a 350tbi, th400, np208 with a set of pro comp 6" lift springs in the front and stock 7 leaf pack rear leaf. Truck has been swapped with a mint 91 interior out of my old truck and has a cobra 29 CB, cd player and a few other additions for longer trips. Here's a few pics hope you like the progress. I brought this truck back from the LA area 3 years ago and have been building it up ever since.
l.jpg

Hope to do several other additions to it as time and money allows. Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments. Going to do a 5.3L swap on it in a few months when the snow melts and it warms up, have all the parts sitting in the garage waiting along with swapping to hummer H2 rims and 37" tires since I still tow with it presently on the 315/75R16

edit: my old picture album disappeared....not sure what happened, I certainly didn't delete it.

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
I'll make a comment. That is one bad 'burban. My dad had a 90 suburban that I learned how to drive on. That should make an excellent camping plateform. You have any plans for bed setups?

xpndbl3

Adventurer
Well right now I just use an air mattress in the back with the 3rd row seat removed. Usually fold down the small section of the 2nd row seat for more headroom as well. Although in warmer weather just sleeping bags are fine. I might build up a roof rack to toss on some bags of clothes or other lighter stuff as well as adding a few more lights up there. Wouldn't mind making a rear bumper with a spare tire rack also. I would just have to get one more H2 rim to bolt a spare onto.

jh504

Explorer
Some folks around here have done some pretty cool things with bed platforms in the back of SUVs. You could build a platform up off of the floor to sleep on and have storage underneath. That way you dont have to move stuff around when its bed time.

sdwhip

Observer
awesome truck. Why the 5.3 swap you have one lyin around? I would personaly stick with the 350, just my opinion.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
yes I have one laying around, it will net me a few mpg on highway over this tbi setup. Not to mention it's rated at 315hp whereas my motor now is 190hp and has 195,000 miles on it. The truck feels sluggish when fully loaded for a trip, I know eventually it'll get 4.88 gears instead of the 4.10s and probably a locker for the rear as well. I'm sure the 5.3L will be quite the kick in the pants this thing needs.

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
yes I have one laying around, it will net me a few mpg on highway over this tbi setup. Not to mention it's rated at 315hp whereas my motor now is 190hp and has 195,000 miles on it. The truck feels sluggish when fully loaded for a trip, I know eventually it'll get 4.88 gears instead of the 4.10s and probably a locker for the rear as well. I'm sure the 5.3L will be quite the kick in the pants this thing needs.

What year is the 5.3? I had a 5.3 in my '04 1500 and it would really run. If your wernt careful the backend would come around on you in a heartbeat.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
What year is the 5.3? I had a 5.3 in my '04 1500 and it would really run. If your wernt careful the backend would come around on you in a heartbeat.

it is out of an 04 avalanche. With all the extra weight over the back on a suburban I don't see it wanting to spin these heavy tires or come around on me, but I'm sure the extra power will really wake it up.

How is the ride with the shackle flip and did it cause any problems

Ride is a lot better with the shackle flip than it was with the lift blocks that the kit originally came with. Also the shackle flip would normally require pinion shims since the angle the leaf spring is at changes dramatically but since I pulled the rear axle out of a wrecked 07 1 ton truck I got disc brakes from the factory and had to cut off the leaf spring pads on the axle and weld new ones since the frame widths are different on new trucks compared to mine. Overall it was an easy swap though.

jh504

Explorer
it is out of an 04 avalanche. With all the extra weight over the back on a suburban I don't see it wanting to spin these heavy tires or come around on me, but I'm sure the extra power will really wake it up.

Ride is a lot better with the shackle flip than it was with the lift blocks that the kit originally came with. Also the shackle flip would normally require pinion shims since the angle the leaf spring is at changes dramatically but since I pulled the rear axle out of a wrecked 07 1 ton truck I got disc brakes from the factory and had to cut off the leaf spring pads on the axle and weld new ones since the frame widths are different on new trucks compared to mine. Overall it was an easy swap though.

Haha, yeah my 1500 was very light in the rear. You wont be fishtailing but I do think you will like the power increase.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
Ya I'm really looking forward to this swap come spring. I'm sure the extra 100 pounds removed off the nose of the truck will be a great thing as well to offset the bumper/winch I want to toss up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz