Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy here with a fullsize..

Default New Guy here with a fullsize..

Thanks to my good buddy Dave (www.theadventureduo.com), I have gotten the expo fever. I was a rockcrawling guy, with a jeep on 35's. I sold it, but have a 2004 Dodge Ram CTD quad cab long bed 4x4. I am seriously considering working on adding some goodies to turn it into an expedition ready vehicle. I don't want to do TOO tight of trails, since its a LONG vehicle, but I would love to do some overland exploring. Any ideas on what are some good starting mods I can do for fairly cheap? Its already got a Kilby Enterprises engine driven compressor on it (just needs plumbed). Here are some pictures of how it currently stands. Its got 35x12.50x17 Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains on it now, but I am going down a size to 285x70x17's for my next tire, simply because I want load range E capabilities for a slide in camper I plan on carrying part time when I am not offroading or exploring. Any advice is appreciated, and I already know I am going to enjoy it here.

Scott

Welcome to Expo!
    Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    11 E350 5.4 V5
    99 E36 M3
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

Thanks Chris!
    Scott
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD Long Bed 4x4- Soon to be an Expo Rig.
    Project Land Mass
    Heiser Oil Motorsports
    Friends of San Bernardino National Forest

nice rig...

little fyi

if you like the 35 you can stay with them. I'm not a fan of procomp tires and have had some poor exp along with some friends of mine. (wear, weak etc)

a quick look at tire specs will show that even thou the 35" tire is a "d" rating , it still carries the same load weight as a "e" smaller tire.

toyo mt in a Lt 285/75/17 is rated for 3195# @ 80 psi

toyo mt in 35 12.50/17 is rated for 3640# @ 65 psi

BFG AT in 315/75/17 " " 3195# @ 50 psi

I'M A huge fan of the toyo MT and AT tires

Another Dodge guy! Yeah, I would look at what the tires are rated to carry vs just looking at the letter designation. You would be supprised what you find out. As far as where to start, I would suggest just spending some time reading what other people on here have done, or are doing. That is what I am doing, and if there is something specific you want to know do a search or post your question. You also have to figure out what type of overlanding you want to do, as this has a different meaning to each person.....I hope this helps,

regards,

Scott
    2009 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
    6.0L gas
    Gemtop outfitter canopy

I would check out 1speeds build. best dodge on the forum that I have seen!
    have fun!

Chris
    '02 KTM 640A
    '08 KTM 450 EXC built for Rally
    '06 3500 Dodge

www.candh.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovski View Post
    I would check out 1speeds build. best dodge on the forum that I have seen!
    have fun!

Chris
    I already went through all the pages on 1speed's build. It is a TRICK build for sure. I'd love to do a flatbed, but this vehicle will be a multipurpose vehicle.. My goal is for it to explore the desert and be comfortable enough for short weekend trips, while still being able to load up my fullsize slide in camper and hit a campground if I want to.
    Scott
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD Long Bed 4x4- Soon to be an Expo Rig.
    Project Land Mass
    Heiser Oil Motorsports
    Friends of San Bernardino National Forest

I have a cab camper with slide out on my dodge too...and i am starting a flat bed soon. I think it will make the truck more useful and add outside storage! I will have to figure out another way to carry my spare tires...but I think I have an idea.
    keep us posted...
    '02 KTM 640A
    '08 KTM 450 EXC built for Rally
    '06 3500 Dodge

www.candh.blogspot.com

Thumbs up Thuren Fabrication

Contact this guy at www.thurenfabrication.com. He'll engineer a suspension upgrade to enable you to carry your slide-in offroad or onroad safely. The slide-in's going to alter your handling for the worse(except for a lightly equipped FWC). Thuren can minimize that while still delivering a nice ride. High wind stability will be especially enhanced. These Dodges have a lot of articulation in them for a Beast.
    2007 Dodge 2500 Regcab 4wd 5.9 CTD. G-56 , TC800 Northstar popup 24/7.

I've been using an E rated Toyo Open Country AT 285x75x17 (33.8") tire. 2nd pair and plan to continue unless I can find a cheaper E rated in the same size.
    truck: 2005 3/4 ton, Dodge Cummins Quadcab, shortbed, 6speed, 5.9L
    camper: Callen built custom design
    off road package: air dam removed, xfer case & fuel tank skid plates, Line-X rockers, Warn 4x fender flares, Toyo A/T 285/75R17 E rated
    build thread: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28099

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast