New Guy here with a fullsize..

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Skidplate?

I've been using an E rated Toyo Open Country AT 285x75x17 (33.8") tire. 2nd pair and plan to continue unless I can find a cheaper E rated in the same size.
I see in your signature that you have a fuel tank skidplate. Did you fab one yourself or source one out? My buddy's got a 12,000# '07 Dodge w/flatbed mounted 9' camper and utility cabinets. He's racked up 1,000 miles on the Pacific side in Baja Norte w/zero flats. I wonder why the load rating drops so much on the MT 285-756-17's? Kilby Industries has released a killer tranfercase one,but nothing for the fuel tank.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I have a 2004 CC long box diesel, Fabtech 4" lift, 35x12.50-17 M/T ATZ's, Pro Comp MX-6 adjustable shocks, Bushwackers, Predator tune, 4" MBRP exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Ready bumpers front and rear, custom headache rack box rail combo. Absolutely love the truck, pulls hard and easy on the wallet now. It was on BFG A/T's until I got stuck on wet grass and almost lost it down an embankment! Winch is under the workbench!

Attachments

• Stuck.jpg
    Stuck.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Extracted.jpg
    Extracted.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 158

blakeape

Adventurer
Toyo makes a 35x12.50R17 E-rated MT. I have them mounted on a set of H2's for back up wheels when I pull something heavy and don't want my 37 inch MTR's's

poriggity

Explorer
I know it's been a while, but thought I'd give you a couple updated pics.. I ended up going with the Firestone Destination AT's in 315/70/17 flavor, load range E.
Here are a few pics:

firestone1.jpg

firestone2.jpg

firestone3.jpg

Next up for mods:
Finish plumbing the Kilby OBA setup
Some sort of cap for the rear ( taking suggestions on this one... Don't want a fiberglass cap, because I need to be able to remove it by myself, and I need something that will still allow me to use my slide in camper for camping... Help is appreciated here!)
Front and rear bumpers (Undecided on brand at this point.)
Winch
Front locker (some type of selectable, preferrably)
Lastly, I am seriously considering becoming a HAM...

I guess this is the proper place to put this.. and I can turn this thread into my "build" thread... what say you?
Thanks for lookin!
Scott

coreys88burban

Adventurer
Thanks to my good buddy Dave (www.theadventureduo.com), I have gotten the expo fever. I was a rockcrawling guy, with a jeep on 35's. I sold it, but have a 2004 Dodge Ram CTD quad cab long bed 4x4. I am seriously considering working on adding some goodies to turn it into an expedition ready vehicle. I don't want to do TOO tight of trails, since its a LONG vehicle, but I would love to do some overland exploring. Any ideas on what are some good starting mods I can do for fairly cheap? Its already got a Kilby Enterprises engine driven compressor on it (just needs plumbed). Here are some pictures of how it currently stands. Its got 35x12.50x17 Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains on it now, but I am going down a size to 285x70x17's for my next tire, simply because I want load range E capabilities for a slide in camper I plan on carrying part time when I am not offroading or exploring. Any advice is appreciated, and I already know I am going to enjoy it here.

dodge2.jpg

dodge1.jpg

Scott

dont worry about the length, im 18 and get my dads 2005 chevy 2500hd (IFS front suspension) crew cab long box in and out of places people tell us not to go withouta jeep. you truck sits higher and has a solid axle. you will be fine just go slow and know your limits. There areplenty of large tires in E range I belive Toyo mud terrains are E load in 37" and 35". Is this your 1st diesel? if so get a exhaust system on it. no muffler and no cat. straight 4" as a start up to what ever you want..stacks..side exit..dumoer..5" whatever. it will be the best thing you can do. gauges to watch the EGT and trans temp and boost are nice also. i just reccomend it you are going to take it lots of place with the weight a winch will be your best investment.

poriggity

Explorer
Corey,
It is my first diesel, but I've had the truck since new.. I've had it for 6 years now. I have factory exhaust, but I cut out the muffler, so it is straight piped, but I still have the cat, due to CA smogging diesel trucks now... and the factory exhaust is 4", so it's all good... I enjoy the sound I get from it. As far as gauges, I also have EGT, turbo boost, and Fuel press. gauges already ;)

Scott

angusdevil

Adventurer
Sharp truck! Love the color as you don't see it too often. Any thoughts to some suspension upgrades? As a couple have mentioned before, give Don Thuren a call as he has some amazing options available.

poriggity

Explorer
Angus.. I am narrowing down suspension options... I have thought about calling Don, or going with a Carli kit... Probably a Carli starter kit or something similar. Right now, it's a matter of money.. Or lack thereof!
Scott

angusdevil

Adventurer
Like I said, give Don a call ;) Tell him that Craig sent ya. He's one of the coolest guys ever and if his product won't fit your needs, he has no problems saying that and suggesting someone else stuff. His customer (and even potential customer) service is top notch!

A great start would be a set of coils, 5100's, adjustable trackbar and a steering stab. It'll feel like a whole new truck without breaking the bank.

poriggity

Explorer
Ok, so I am looking into basic recovery gear now. I have looked at recovery kits from ARB and Masterpull. I already have a couple of 30,000 lb tow straps (No, they don't have metal hooks in the ends, just loops hahaha!). I looked at what is included in the masterpull kit, and I can just about get myself setup, without buying a kit, for a lot cheaper. Here are my immediate plans for recovery gear:
60" Hi Lift
8k lb come a long
snatch block
leather gloves
2 3/4" D Ring Shackles
Fire Extinguisher
And I'll put it all in a duffle bag, of course. I also plan on grabbing a couple decent LED flashlights to keep in the truck as well. Is there anything I should be considering for basic recovery gear? I plan on a winch, later down the line, but for now, I will have a come a long. The biggest I have been able to find is an 8k lb unit, which is why I plan on getting a snatch block as well. So.. Gimme some opinions guys. What else do I need?
Scott

riverrat88

Observer
You can use the Hi-lift itself as a come-a-long, they offer a "winch kit" for it or you can probably just make it yourself with a section of chain and clevises

poriggity

Explorer
You can use the Hi-lift itself as a come-a-long, they offer a "winch kit" for it or you can probably just make it yourself with a section of chain and clevises

I actually didnt think about that.. thanks bro.. I can take the come along off the list for now. Anything I seem to be missing?
Scott

angusdevil

Adventurer
Throw an 12" adjustable wrench in there as well. Shackles can be hard to take a part sometimes and the wrench works wonders there as long as many other place. I would also throw a small shovel, 3lb hammer and hatchet in there as well. Never know when you'll have to cut, drive or bury something in order to get you or someone else extricated. Lastly, buy a good first aid kit, you'll be glad you did when it comes time to using it, even just for bee stings :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne