New Guy here with a fullsize..

poriggity

Explorer
Thanks to my good buddy Dave (www.theadventureduo.com), I have gotten the expo fever. I was a rockcrawling guy, with a jeep on 35's. I sold it, but have a 2004 Dodge Ram CTD quad cab long bed 4x4. I am seriously considering working on adding some goodies to turn it into an expedition ready vehicle. I don't want to do TOO tight of trails, since its a LONG vehicle, but I would love to do some overland exploring. Any ideas on what are some good starting mods I can do for fairly cheap? Its already got a Kilby Enterprises engine driven compressor on it (just needs plumbed). Here are some pictures of how it currently stands. Its got 35x12.50x17 Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains on it now, but I am going down a size to 285x70x17's for my next tire, simply because I want load range E capabilities for a slide in camper I plan on carrying part time when I am not offroading or exploring. Any advice is appreciated, and I already know I am going to enjoy it here.

dodge2.jpg

dodge1.jpg

Scott

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
nice rig...

little fyi

if you like the 35 you can stay with them. I'm not a fan of procomp tires and have had some poor exp along with some friends of mine. (wear, weak etc)

a quick look at tire specs will show that even thou the 35" tire is a "d" rating , it still carries the same load weight as a "e" smaller tire.

toyo mt in a Lt 285/75/17 is rated for 3195# @ 80 psi

toyo mt in 35 12.50/17 is rated for 3640# @ 65 psi

BFG AT in 315/75/17 " " 3195# @ 50 psi

I'M A huge fan of the toyo MT and AT tires

Mr. Moore

Observer
Another Dodge guy! Yeah, I would look at what the tires are rated to carry vs just looking at the letter designation. You would be supprised what you find out. As far as where to start, I would suggest just spending some time reading what other people on here have done, or are doing. That is what I am doing, and if there is something specific you want to know do a search or post your question. You also have to figure out what type of overlanding you want to do, as this has a different meaning to each person.....I hope this helps,

regards,

Scott

poriggity

Explorer
I would check out 1speeds build. best dodge on the forum that I have seen!
have fun!

Chris

I already went through all the pages on 1speed's build. It is a TRICK build for sure. I'd love to do a flatbed, but this vehicle will be a multipurpose vehicle.. My goal is for it to explore the desert and be comfortable enough for short weekend trips, while still being able to load up my fullsize slide in camper and hit a campground if I want to.
Scott

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have a cab camper with slide out on my dodge too...and i am starting a flat bed soon. I think it will make the truck more useful and add outside storage! I will have to figure out another way to carry my spare tires...but I think I have an idea.
keep us posted...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thuren Fabrication

Contact this guy at www.thurenfabrication.com. He'll engineer a suspension upgrade to enable you to carry your slide-in offroad or onroad safely. The slide-in's going to alter your handling for the worse(except for a lightly equipped FWC). Thuren can minimize that while still delivering a nice ride. High wind stability will be especially enhanced. These Dodges have a lot of articulation in them for a Beast.

theMec

Adventurer
I've been using an E rated Toyo Open Country AT 285x75x17 (33.8") tire. 2nd pair and plan to continue unless I can find a cheaper E rated in the same size.

poriggity

Explorer
I can't justify over $300/tire for the toyo AT 285/75/17's. I'd love to have them, but not for that price. I'd rather step down to a 285/70/17... They are nice tires though! As far as the slide in camper, I don't plan on putting the slide in camper in WHILE I am exploring offroad. I don't like the idea of that much weight swaying back and forth in the desert. As far as suspension, I know Carli/Thuren make the best stuff out there for Dodge, and that's what I'll be using! :)
Scott

Fish

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo!!

Another option for tires is the Bridgestone Revo 2/Firestone Destination AT. They make them in a 315/70R17 E rated.

I think that's what I'm going to put on my truck which is almost identical to yours, only with a Callen shell instead of the larger one. Yours might be a bit top heavy on tires that tall with the camper, though.

And Mec, Nitto makes a Grappler in 285/75-17. It's cheaper, but I wouldn't put it up against the Toyo.

My truck as it currently sits for comparison -- with 285/70-17 Firestone Destinations. I'll eagerly be awaiting details of your build... Mine hasn't really started yet as I just bought a house and am trying to recover financially.

Dodge2500-2.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
It seems you are not TOO far away from me... Being in Poway.. its only a couple of hours from me. I am going to talk to a friend of mine who runs a firestone complete autocare.. I am seriously looking at the Destination AT's in 315/70/17's, and these tires will be the first mod into my foray of expedition-rig...
Scott

D

Deleted member 12023

I can't justify over $300/tire for the toyo AT 285/75/17's.
Scott

I have the 285/75/17 Toyo A/T's. I paid about $1500 (shipped) for 5 of them and this included (5) 17x8 steel rock crushers. So they ended up being about $220 a piece.

This was from 4wheelparts. I know a lot of people don't like ordering from them, but they will price match online companies if you find a good deal somewhere.

I have about 28,000 miles on them now and I am at 1/2 tread. I found that you have to rotate them often and keep the pressure spot on to get the best wear (as with most tires). I have wheeled them a bit as well and they did great on a fully loaded full size diesel. I recommend them.

Truck.jpg
(Poser shot)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Another option is the BFG Commercial Traction T/A

I got 4 of them shipped to my door from Tirerack for $700

Ive only got 4k miles on them at this point, but so far I am VERY impressed.:sombrero:

bell80.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles