Which fridge and why?... Power options?

NateK

I'm looking into fridge/freezers and don't know what to do...:Wow1:
I've heard good about Engel and Waeco, but who else makes a quality fridge?
I'm looking at an 80-110 litre one. :coffeedrink:
I'm also a bit concerned about the power consumption...
I know that I should run a dual batt setup, but which fridge will put less strain on them?
How should I set the dual batt's up?

Thanks!
:victory:

alan

Explorer
Hi, Engel is a good reliable fridge, a bite thirsty on power in the hot weather, because of the poor insulation, Waeco, don't bother they are unreliable, great danfoss compressor but in Australia the electronics always give trouble, National luna is a great fridge but expensive, Trailblazer is also another great fridge in Australia but very bulky, so if money is no object buy a national luna.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I'm looking at an 80-110 litre one. :coffeedrink:
Holy spamoli Batman!:Wow1:

We have both an Engel 45 and a Waeco 25 (I briefly toyed with the idea of using them both in the same truck on long trips and setting the Waeco to freeze).

Both are good fridges, and we bought the transit insulation bags for both, which really helps conserve power. The Engel came with the 110 plug in, as well as the 12v, the Waeco it was sold seperately.

Our Engel has taken a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I cannot believe how tough that fridge is. (Though we are on our second transit bag)

The Waeco is more efficient when it comes to space (inside versus outside dimensions), and it could be because it is so small, but it gets cold really fast.

I've also heard good things about the National Luna which gives you the option of having a fridge and freezer in one unit.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I would recommend two smaller fridges rather than one very large one. That way you can run one as a fridge and one as a freezer.

Engle or National Luna are the way to go for bigger fridges. NL. has great units with both fridge and freezer compartments.

I'd be happy to offer further advice by PM or e-mail

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I would recommend two smaller fridges rather than one very large one. That way you can run one as a fridge and one as a freezer.

Engle or National Luna are the way to go for bigger fridges. NL. has great units with both fridge and freezer compartments.

I'd be happy to offer further advice by PM or e-mail

Agreed! We bought a 50L 4+ years ago (Waeco) and then this past summer added a 25L to primarily use as just a freezer for longer trips. But it is super nice to have this flexibility depending on needs.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
My choice

I highly agree with the two frig option.
I currently have the new ARB and love it.
Works very well in heat, easily removable top
already has a temp display.
It has three shut off/alarm settings so as to not drain your batteries to low and I love the impact resistant exterior.

My .02.

Jeff

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Arent the ARB, Engel and Norcold all the same fridge? Just re-badged? The norcold I just picked up looks exacly like the Engel, not similar, exactly like them.

~ Stump

HB 4X4

Adventurer
Between the ARB, NL, and Engel which one is the highest quality?
Thanks.

I got the ARB becase of it's newer design, temp readout, temp control, and it's design allows for more interior space. The ARB is 50 qts while the comparable models in the same range are 43. It also has a drain plug in the bottom for easy cleaning. Mine has an LED inside which helps at night. I'm not sure if the others do because I am at work but it's a nice feature.

Last edited:

HB 4X4

Adventurer
Arent the ARB, Engel and Norcold all the same fridge? Just re-badged? The norcold I just picked up looks exacly like the Engel, not similar, exactly like them.

~ Stump

With the older models this is basically true. However, ARB completely redesigned their new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles