Homemade Roofracks.

wuntenn

Adventurer
This wont suit everyone but it works for me. Basic galvanized tubing, bent at ends, welded up. Feet going into gutter are inverted T pieces welded of steel round bar with a bolt welded on to take commercial gutter clamps. I fabbed up a couple of alloy bolt-on bars using equal angle with my sea kayak J bars permanently mounted, so I can easily clip on/pull off as needed. Integrated ladder rack at rear and as the tubing is hollow I've been able to shove another pipe in the rear which pulls out and becomes the support for an awning. Cheap and cheerful. Minimal drag and a nice flat top.

Rack (1 of 1).jpg

Rack (1 of 1)-2.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Northstar TC650
only support members on this alum. roof run around perimeter and are 1"thick x 2-1/2" wide. Rest of roof is just open runs with alum. sheet and insulation.

Macs Tiedowns A-track mounted with Dicor 502-LSW sealant and #14x1" SS screws every hole
1-1/4"x1"x0.12 wall alum tubing as crossmembers
Northstar recommends no more than 200# load with top down.
Have mounted an alum. atv ramp to one side to allow easy lashing of goods the the roof.
took a trip to Saline Valley w/o issues with vibration.
planning on support for: chairs, pads for kayak/surfboards to rest on, bike mounts for 3 bikes. Modular
Nothing crazy or heavy, just want to strap different things on top of needed.

159d8254.jpg

magentawave

Adventurer
I need to build an enclosed, lockable and streamlined shaped roof top carrier to store my surfboards, stand up surfboards and fishing rods in while traveling. It will probably be about 9' long X 5' wide X 12" tall. I'm thinking of installing solar panels on top of it. Has anyone on this forum built anything like that? Got any photos or links to it? I'm also open to ideas for how to construct something like this that will keep the weight down.

Thanks

SpectreH3

I need to build an enclosed, lockable and streamlined shaped roof top carrier to store my surfboards, stand up surfboards and fishing rods in while traveling. It will probably be about 9' long X 5' wide X 12" tall. I'm thinking of installing solar panels on top of it. Has anyone on this forum built anything like that? Got any photos or links to it? I'm also open to ideas for how to construct something like this that will keep the weight down.

Thanks

I've been looking into something similar but as a low profile roof top tent. Still in the "back of the napkin" stage, but if you have the fabrication skills you may want to look into hacking up a fiberglass truck camper shell. That's what I've been thinking but again, it's a ton of custom fab work.

doug720

Expedition Leader
P1080264.JPG

I made a 2 compartment fishing rod case that mounts to my roof rack. It is over 9' long and 16" high, but is narrower. It is made from 1"X2"'s and 1/4" plywood. It's hinged and opens from the passenger side, and has storage in the bottom that stay's within the rack foot print, and fly rods in the top section that overhangs the rack. When I made my rack, I welded nuts to tabs, so it's easy to mount with bolts through the bottom of the box.

It is very light, quite strong, fairly easy to build, materials are common and not very expensive. I think it would be easy to make it bigger and use gas struts to help open the top.t

This is the only shot I have right now.

Doug

magentawave

Adventurer
Hmmm, I'd like to know more about this speaker box construction method. Before I google, does it go like something this...

1) Build frame to desired shape and dimensions out of cheap 1" x 2" material.
2) Stretch felt over frame and staple felt to frame.
3) Lay fiberglass cloth on top of felt.
4) Apply polyester or epoxy resin.

Does the 1" x 2" frame remain as a permanent part of the structure or do you throw it away?

How many layers of cloth do they use and weight of cloth?

Thanks

Why not do what the stereo installers do. Build a lightweight frame, cover it in felt and then fiberglass it?

Thule makes the largest car top carrier available called the Sonic XXL and I was thinking of buying a used one but I'd prefer to build mine to the exact dimensions I want. I have the woodworking and fiberglassing skills but I'm not sure yet how to approach this because weight and cost matters. What were you thinking about your idea of starting with a used fiberglass truck shell? Perhaps cut it so you'll have the top and about 12" (or whatever height you want) of the sides of the fiberglass shell and then mount that to a plywood bottom that would attach to the top of your vehicle? How would you access everything? Would you hinge it at the front or sides so the whole things tilts open and is held up by trunk shocks, or access everything from the back only with a hinged door that spans the width of the carrier?

Thanks

I've been looking into something similar but as a low profile roof top tent. Still in the "back of the napkin" stage, but if you have the fabrication skills you may want to look into hacking up a fiberglass truck camper shell. That's what I've been thinking but again, it's a ton of custom fab work.

Its kind of hard to tell but are the 1"x2"s on the outside so the 1/4" ply inside of the box is smooth? What did you use to protect the wood from the elements?

Thanks

View attachment 193524

I made a 2 compartment fishing rod case that mounts to my roof rack. It is over 9' long and 16" high, but is narrower. It is made from 1"X2"'s and 1/4" plywood. It's hinged and opens from the passenger side, and has storage in the bottom that stay's within the rack foot print, and fly rods in the top section that overhangs the rack. When I made my rack, I welded nuts to tabs, so it's easy to mount with bolts through the bottom of the box.

It is very light, quite strong, fairly easy to build, materials are common and not very expensive. I think it would be easy to make it bigger and use gas struts to help open the top.t

This is the only shot I have right now.

Doug

doug720

Expedition Leader
I dado'd and rabbited the joints, used brads and glue to join the parts, lined the interior with fabric and finished with marine varnish. It has seen a fair amount of abuse and has held up great, but I do not leave it on all the time. It mounts/dismounts in a couple of minutes and I store inside when not needed.

Doug

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Actually, they brush the resin directly into the felt. They leave the frame intact. I'm not sure how that would hold up to the elements but you could probably experiment with different fabrics. Didn't they used to use canvas on airplanes?

magentawave

Adventurer
What kind of glue did you use?

I dado'd and rabbited the joints, used brads and glue to join the parts, lined the interior with fabric and finished with marine varnish. It has seen a fair amount of abuse and has held up great, but I do not leave it on all the time. It mounts/dismounts in a couple of minutes and I store inside when not needed.

Doug

magentawave

Adventurer
And after brushing the resin on to the felt do they then lay the fiberglass cloth down on top of the felt?

Actually, they brush the resin directly into the felt. They leave the frame intact. I'm not sure how that would hold up to the elements but you could probably experiment with different fabrics. Didn't they used to use canvas on airplanes?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You can add woven glass mat on top. I have seen people just soak the felt with resin and after it dries smooth it out with a layer of body filler on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke