Homemade Roofracks.

gaston7

Observer
Alright...so this is by no means a legit J-Moose rack, but it's my easier build version. So all I really did was buy 3 sets of Yakima gutter mounts. The 3 crossbars allowed me to not have to bolt the ramp together through the middle since all the weight is distributed evenly. I jumped up there and walked all over it with zero flex.

Ramp I used:
http://www.titanramps.com/tr/atv-ramps/7-5-bi-fold-aluminum-atv-loading-ramp.html#.Uzbp1ye9KSM
dapy5y6u.jpg

Thrown on top of the rig.
9ehyzute.jpg

e7y6u9et.jpg

Aluminum is super easy to drill through so I just bolted the ramp to the crossbars with U-Bolts and it is rock solid.
dyby8a2a.jpg

That is pretty much all I did and it's perfect. I will eventually clean it up by throwing a rounded aluminum pieces to make it look more rack-esk. But I'm all about function.
I could not wait to throw the roof top tent on so that came right after.
4ugy6age.jpg

jy9u2ebe.jpg

1995 Montero SR

redneckjeepr

Observer
Don't think I have posted mine yet, so here goes. Made out of .090 wall 1.5" HREW tubing. put a hoist point in the middle, so I can lift my camper off using my overhead hoist.

zscott

Adventurer
Here is mine that I am still determining details about the final locations of the crossbars before it gets painted. All aluminum, all bolt together. Matching rack for the topper as well.

zscott

Adventurer
what grade screws on the rack there zscott?

any idea on what you plan to keep up there?

also, an idea for you to better some of the tie down areas. Eye Nuts and Eye Bolts http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/304117-eye-nuts-help-me-find-them-links.html

28476.jpg
eye-bolts-40557-2838531.jpg

I have some traction ramps and a pelican case for recovery gear. Maybe some rotopax, and my RTT will go over the topper. Thanks for the link on eyebolts. I have some but like you mention they are difficult to find without breaking the bank. Cmack supply has a decent variety and the prices aren't too bad. They sell some on ebay that must be excess cause I snagged some for a decent price awhile back.

And, yes it will get paint eventually. Just waiting on some good weather, or some money to have someone else do it.

Also I will have to check on the grade of the bolts, I can't recall at the moment what they are. (Edit: Grade 8 for all the bolts/screws)

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
here is mine. if you click on my build thread i pretty much have a step by step layout of how i did it and the finished product with the light bar and awning mounted to it
20140311_193254_zpsf0675db1.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
I haven't made mine yet, but this is what I am planning. I've made a bed rack that I will be covering in canvas (similar to a CanBack), and welded in nuts on the sides (the holes you can see on the top near the supports). I'll make some brackets out of angle iron and flat iron that have the appropriate angle to line up to the nuts, bolt through grommets in the fabric, and provide a flat platform for Yakima rain gutter towers. There will be three bars, but I'm not sure on how to make or attach the rack just yet.
IMG_45252.JPG

IMG_45002.JPG

zscott

Adventurer
I haven't made mine yet, but this is what I am planning. I've made a bed rack that I will be covering in canvas (similar to a CanBack), and welded in nuts on the sides (the holes you can see on the top near the supports). I'll make some brackets out of angle iron and flat iron that have the appropriate angle to line up to the nuts, bolt through grommets in the fabric, and provide a flat platform for Yakima rain gutter towers. There will be three bars, but I'm not sure on how to make or attach the rack just yet.
IMG_45252.JPG

IMG_45002.JPG

Cool idea. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94