Homemade Roofracks.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Here's mine that I built, it's all aluminum and weighs only 22 pounds including the uprights. It is hinged at the back and has tent poles that swing down into legs to create an awning. It also switches between my jeep and trailer in about five minutes
bagu4yze.jpg
vypa9a3e.jpg
apuhetyb.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Thank you, I'm really happy with how it came out and the functionality of it. But I normally only run it when I'm going camping, the wind drag of it is definitely noticeable. It doesn't make any noise but you can feel the air resistance and I'm sure it takes away a couple miles per gallon. Luckily it installs or removes really fast an easy.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Just built this to fit on the 2" roll bar using 2" split shaft clamps, the mounts are cut to leave clearance for the safari top to still fit (see last pic detail). I have it painted now. The tube is .049" 1" sq tube, very light and feels strong. I put four light tabs (2 front, 2 rear) on it as well. I have plans to build a slide under the rack to hold my flex solar panel, in the plans, it will tuck in for travel and slide out when parked. I have a solar charger and a 1000w sine convertor that need housings made for them also. At the rear of the rack, I have almost 4" of space, it tapers to 1.5" at the front (24")

IMG_0761_zps37d11075.jpg

IMG_0763_zps21a0f07b.jpg

IMG_0764_zps7666ae8e.jpg

IMG_0765_zps8455961e.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsf7c0c81a.jpg

rackmountdetail_zps620001e2.jpg

tacr2man

Adventurer
If using gutter mounting , then join the feet with a strip of something like 1"x1/4" on its narrow side down , to spread the load , otherwise the gutter can get deflected down causing problems opening doors etc . HTSH

ober27

Adventurer
WSS!

Your rack looks great! Did you custom cut the vertical pieces that go between the rails? What did you use for the bottom?

WSS

Rock Stacker
WSS!

Your rack looks great! Did you custom cut the vertical pieces that go between the rails? What did you use for the bottom?

Yes, I cut them out of 12ga sheet. I cut the slots/holes for weight reduction. The middle risers have tabbed slots running horizontal for the light tabs to lock into, makes alignment easy and dead on. I have the dxf files if anyone needs them. I may be able to post them here. These were cut on my CNC plasma table.

Thanks!
WSS

Huntersgreen

FSJ Rock
CAD program for designing Roof Racks?

Not to Hi-jack this thread, however wouldn't it be nice to produce some "CAD" style designs for these roof rack designs we all have? (Well for some of us with GEEK tendencies it would be nice...or am I out to lunch on this subject?). What about a FREE CAD design program (not a trial version..)?

One I have used for years is Google Sketchup, in fact I liked it so much I bought the licensed version 2 years ago (why buy the Licensed version? So I can have hot keys to go faster designing...). Sketchup is free, many Colleges use it, and it's quite popular overseas. It works very easy and is quite intuitive to any one with designing skills, let alone CAD experience. It also produces a drawing small in data size that is easily emailed, and or posted for sharing with others. Im not saying that Sketchup "IS the best" etc. just sugesting that with all the great skills and design work I see on this site, this might be an easy and cost effective way to share some of this "technical" data.

Sketchup also has a MAMOTH drawing warehouse of "shared" designs, which is also free, and easy to download into your drawing very easy and fast. (I have a couple designs in there..) I get lost in it sometimes just marveling at some of the stuff others have designed and shared for use.

Here is my current safari style roof rack I have designed and is in fabrication now - It will be going on my 1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. (yes I know, I will get pics once the fab shop lets me know they are ready to start...)

p2mx.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
Not to Hi-jack this thread, however wouldn't it be nice to produce some "CAD" style designs for these roof rack designs we all have? (Well for some of us with GEEK tendencies it would be nice...or am I out to lunch on this subject?). What about a FREE CAD design program (not a trial version..)?

One I have used for years is Google Sketchup, in fact I liked it so much I bought the licensed version 2 years ago (why buy the Licensed version? So I can have hot keys to go faster designing...). Sketchup is free, many Colleges use it, and it's quite popular overseas. It works very easy and is quite intuitive to any one with designing skills, let alone CAD experience. It also produces a drawing small in data size that is easily emailed, and or posted for sharing with others. Im not saying that Sketchup "IS the best" etc. just sugesting that with all the great skills and design work I see on this site, this might be an easy and cost effective way to share some of this "technical" data.

Sketchup also has a MAMOTH drawing warehouse of "shared" designs, which is also free, and easy to download into your drawing very easy and fast. (I have a couple designs in there..) I get lost in it sometimes just marveling at some of the stuff others have designed and shared for use.

Here is my current safari style roof rack I have designed and is in fabrication now - It will be going on my 1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. (yes I know, I will get pics once the fab shop lets me know they are ready to start...)

p2mx.jpg

Dan

Dan,
i wish i had the time to learn a new software. I actually have a 3d Art background from college. my experience is with 3d studio max and maya (which i havnt used in years). for me its easier to visualize what i want to do in my head and just go out and start doing it. I did try sketchup and i have it on my computer but i just dont have time to learn it.

-Raul

Here is my unfinished low-profile roof rack build
asyjyqa5.jpg
uhena9ar.jpg
utyta6u3.jpg
y5ezuqyz.jpg
hy9u5ure.jpg

Since building this I realized I want to make some slight changes to how this is mounted to the roof and how much I miss having my sun roof unobstructed.... Either going to make a removable sunroof panel or just take out the mesh for good

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

WSS

Rock Stacker

p2mx.jpg

Dan

I agree, just checked the "manage" attachments in the "go advanced" section and CAD, DXF or even DWG are not valid for posting. I have a bunch of 2D DXF's for home made/hand made stuff. I use a CNC plasma to do the 2D stuff.

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
All of these roof racks look awesome and kudos to those with welding skills. Has anyone attempted a hillbilly rack made with a chain link fence gate? I was strolling around the big orange box store the other day and one caught my eye, I think it was 42" x 60"...seemed like a good size for a larger roof...
I have an Explorer roof top storage container attached to two of my OEM cross braces for my gear... things tend to go missing in my neck of the woods if not hidden under lock and key so I don't really have the need for a rack at all, but it was just a thought.
IMG_0062.jpg

hitek79

Explorer
Well, after searching for a good pre-made solution, my buddy talked me in to just letting him build me a massive roof rack. 65" wide, 20' long. Won't be easy to get up on my bus, but it should be awesome once it's up and installed. This weekend I will get everything placed and mounted, then we will paint it, mount it on the roof, and re-install all the components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94