Thread: Homemade Roofracks.

IMG_0141[2].JPGIMG_0143[2].JPGIMG_0148[1].JPG

This is my current work in progress....maybe just a little overkill for my subie (if there's such a thing )

Quote Originally Posted by StumpXJ View Post
    I have had several variations on my roof racks, all homemade. I also have made my own gutter mounts, they are fairly simple to make.

Here it is in its original form on my taco. Bolted directly to the topper with no issues over 2.5 years before I got rid of the truck.

Here, I had to cut out ond side and the rear of the rack to fit my new RTT on top.

Fast forward to my XJ, I cut the original rack, lengthened it, and added a small front basket. I also made my own gutter mounts. I have had 600+ pounds on it with no issues.

View of the gutter mounts.

front basket will hold 7 jerry Cans etc.

It also holds Christmas lights pretty well...

~ Stump

Afraid of the dark?

I made this for my 60 out of 1" steel tube and 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. It has mounts for my Hi-Lift and full sized shovel, there are welded nuts to bolt down my storage boxes for camping and fishing equipment also. We also carry a 12' inflatable kayak on top without issue.

The holes in the aluminum are to allow tie down points for misce. loads. The aluminum also works as a great shade for the roof and makes the interior feel much cooler than than the dark gray color did on hot days without the cover.

I painted it with Imron which is, IMHO, better than powder coating.

It quite light and is very quiet on the road.

I have a ladder that mounts on the inside of the 60 and hooks onto the rear center mount for easy access.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FI60 Diesel

My Isuzu Swap: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...ey-begins.html

When you get to Ih8mud type in Google search - "The Journey Begins"

My home made gutter mounts:
    1998 Jeep Cherokee SE
    - RE 6130 -HD SYE - Terra 2LO - 31" BFG AT - Dana 30/Dana 44 w 4.10s - ARB Front -
    SawTooth XL Off Road Trailer
    Visit my Site: http://www.sawtoothent.com

stomper, those are excellent!
    NOMO-2011 Nissan Xterra PRO4X. stock

Quote Originally Posted by stomperxj View Post
    My home made gutter mounts:
    Those look bomb proof!!
    Pat Bonish
    Every Miles A Memory
    Lowkey Hideaway - Come Visit

Exploring North America by Backroads and Trails When We're Not in Cedar Key

Just my 2/100 cts the quality of work is really high , and these will probably be perfectly adequate for what the majority will be used for , but would like to suggest that if there is an intention to travel on corrugated bush road with quite a load on the rack that the feet are finished of with a joining bar to spread the load , I have seen many vehicles in Australia that have had the gutters "hammered" down to the point that they interfere with door opening . This suggestion obviously applies to gutter mount racks only . JMHO
    1986 110 CSW TDi6
    1992 90 300tdi auto
    1999 P38 DSE Auto
    2001 Freelander TD4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by tacr2man View Post
    Just my 2/100 cts the quality of work is really high , and these will probably be perfectly adequate for what the majority will be used for , but would like to suggest that if there is an intention to travel on corrugated bush road with quite a load on the rack that the feet are finished of with a joining bar to spread the load , I have seen many vehicles in Australia that have had the gutters "hammered" down to the point that they interfere with door opening . This suggestion obviously applies to gutter mount racks only . JMHO
    Excellent point though, I considered that option instead of buying two or 4 more mounts for my rack (I have a total of 6 mounts currently). I think the it would effectively achieve the same load distribution to the gutters, but not necessarily to the rack (which only has 6 mounting points from the factory.
    Scott Brown- Overland Guide and Photographer
    1995 Montero SR--
    1988 FJ62 Landcruiser (project)--1987 4Runner(sold)--1997 Honda XR650L--

New poster here; been lurking and stealing ideas.

I have very little fabrication experience (never actually fabricated anything before) but do have a lincoln Easy Mig. My first effort at a rack was just finished yesterday (see attaached photos).

I wanted it to work with a stock bumper with no-drill installation. Much of this was a fabricate-as-i-go sort of project. I knew from Garmin and KargoMaster and some other rack makers about where the attachement points were, but then was on my own.

Thankfully a shop press bent the 1/4 inch plate into the zig-zag pattern to get around the bumper and tub. The bolt on the side under the gas cap presses against the tub to prevent rattling and side-to-side movement. The rack also articulated backwards so if (when) I go with a soft top, I will be able to easily lower it all the way. The plan in the future is to get rid of the rear mounts entirely and weld the rack directly onto my rear bumper which I will also scratch build.

The rack is built to hold a RTT which I hopefully will get next month. When there is no RTT, it's just a cargo basket, but it still allows us full use of the forward freedom panels.

All told the cost was about $400 bucks, including a new chopsaw which will no doubt get use in other projects. Oh, and I don't know if you can put a price on my beard, but a bit of welding metal managed to singe it a bit so I lost that too!

Regards
    Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craigwhitton: Nice work, does it flip up?

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast