An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
No worries, you won't miss the truck ;-)
I am just back from 2 months on the road working and shooting races and am starting getting the Rhino back on the road this weekend.

The text for the website about the upcoming expedition are translated, too and the the website will be online shortly (www.sae2015.com).

Here´s a little video teaser

Oilworker

Explorer
Yes indeed, but not only the portals alone will make a difference to the approach Steve Burgess and Dan Evans took when modifying and preparing their Defender 110HCPU for the Cape2Cape Expedition and ultimately the Bering Strait crossing.

I will use completely different tires, unlike their almost standard tires which was why they where towed by the amphibious tanks for quite some distance.
My tires, which I can run because of my 5" prototype portals, the tyre inflation system TPAS, which I had modified for my requirements, and a new snow chain system which I have designed 2 years ago and which is currently being manufactured, should make it possible for me and Chris to drive all the way to the easternmost shore of Russia.

But we´ll see ;-)

bill the dill

Yes indeed, but not only the portals alone will make a difference to the approach Steve Burgess and Dan Evans took when modifying and preparing their Defender 110HCPU for the Cape2Cape Expedition and ultimately the Bering Strait crossing.

I will use completely different tires, unlike their almost standard tires which was why they where towed by the amphibious tanks for quite some distance.
My tires, which I can run because of my 5" prototype portals, the tyre inflation system TPAS, which I had modified for my requirements, and a new snow chain system which I have designed 2 years ago and which is currently being manufactured, should make it possible for me and Chris to drive all the way to the easternmost shore of Russia.

But we´ll see ;-)

So Robert, has Wolfgang uprated your portals with the later output shafts and larger unit bearings yet ?

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Good day!

Sofar no updates or upgrades on m prototype bolt-on portals. Why? Mine work just great ;-)
The only thing that gave up earlier this year was my gearbox. The main shaft broke and for the past months the 130CC-R(hino) has been grounded while I worked hard to make th money for the repairs and pending upgrades.
There´s a ton of nice bits and pieces that I have to go and pick up now and my new gearbox and clutch (thanx to my friend of many years, Marc Burauen from the Landyscheune for the latter!) are in the workshop.

As I write I just finish my last two magazine features that I had been working on and will cover the Formula Offroad race in Bålsta, Sweden, this weekend.
After that I have finally got the time to finish stripping my Defender and get back to work, fixing it and preparing it for the trip ahead.

Thanx for your continued interest and support! It means a lot to me!

Oh, an TBars, the english page is online now ;-) ….mostly :-(

www.sae2015.com

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
M;r Oilworker your thread is an inspiration to all that love to travel offroad. The kind of things that you are doing is what we all dream of. I just went through the whole thread and am very impressed with the kind of engineering and solid work that you and your crew are doing. If you are ever up in Denmark near Copenhagen then please let me know. I would love to meet you in person and talk tech and expo talk. Unless you come in the summer as then I am generally in Canada. Cheers, Chilli.:)

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi guys!

another 2 weeks and I will continue here as I continue on the Rhino.
It´s been insanely busy and tough months sofar and after the upcoming Breslau Rallye I am looking forward to some time to really work on the car and get it finally finished.

Walter, I can send you a few images of how I fitted the Recaro Seats if you like.
I actually designed and build a new bottom console to which I mounted the original Recaro Consoles as I am a bit too tall for anything close to a standard seating position ;-)

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, Chilli, maybe I can actually visit you both places ;-)

I need to do a test run before the end of the year, as soon as I have the truck finished, and was thinking of driving up to Norway for a change.
Next year I plan to take the rig over star side and explore Canada and the US a bit!

94Discovery

Adventurer

I need to do a test run before the end of the year, as soon as I have the truck finished, and was thinking of driving up to Norway for a change.
Next year I plan to take the rig over star side and explore Canada and the US a bit!
If you ever pass by montreal with the 130 our local club would love to meet you ,we already have 1 discovery1 and a defender on portal and if i am lucky next year my disco will be on portal and another series 88 also on portals .

chilliwak

Expedition Leader

Mr Oilworker you would be more than welcome to visit me. It would be cool to talk to you. Let me know about your travel plans and stayed tuned to my sumer adventures in Canada in the `Tour De Canada part Deu´ thread in my sig. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

R Thomas

Observer
How about doing the Transamerican Trail or maybe The Shadow of the Rockies Trail? We are driving The Shadow of the Rockies this year and will be driving down the Great Divide from Canada to the USA, both trails all off-road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online