An expedition truck on portals...

Walterke

Walter, I can send you a few images of how I fitted the Recaro Seats if you like.
I actually designed and build a new bottom console to which I mounted the original Recaro Consoles as I am a bit too tall for anything close to a standard seating position ;-)

Oilworker, yes please. The original seats are horrible ;)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Mr Oilworker you would be more than welcome to visit me. It would be cool to talk to you. Let me know about your travel plans and stayed tuned to my sumer adventures in Canada in the `Tour De Canada part Deu´ thread in my sig. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

I'd love to catch up when you are in Canada as well Robert. I am close to Chilliwack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Oilworker, yes please. The original seats are horrible ;)

I'd like to see that too.
Actually now that my boys are becoming teenagers I plan to fit 5 bucket seats into my 110 for long family drives. 2 in front, 2 in second row, 1 in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oilworker

Explorer
Sorry guys, it was a crazy week!
As "sponsors" are difficult to find these days, well they are all hyped up when they see my portfolio, but then, when it comes to support with parts, gear or just a few bucks, they need to go to another meeting….haha.

Well, to cut a long story short, I have been busy putting together a little shop of my own, properly designing and building the stuff that I have in mind and am thinking about, and hopeful this time I get the bloddy licensing side of that right, too. Fingers crossed.

Over the past two weeks we´ve been buys building the worlds first fully FIA spec roll cage for a Polaris SxS and as of yesterday we´ve started working on turning some of my homemade modifications, like the seat console, into a proper product.

I can snap a few pictures of my current "console" tomorrow, if you like.

So long,

Robert

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Very exciting news, Robert.
Looking forward to seeing the results.
Sorry to hear about the sponsor issues, but it seems you have made something positive out of that situation.
Yes, please do post the console photos :)

ackie

Robert

You said you may update the engine to a Ford 3.2, what gearbox and transfer case would you use.

ackie

Outback

Explorer
Hello OILWORKER,
I have a few questions of you don't mind. First off I have sent off an email to TIBUS regarding the Portals for a Defender 110 (thanks for all your persistence in getting portals). I hope to hear back from him soon. My first question is in regards to your Hutchinson wheels. I have not been able to locate that exact style of wheel as you have. Being in the US may be the issue. Do you have a part number and do you recall what the cost was? Also with the 35" tall tires are you running the 1,6:1 or the 1,16:1 portals? I would like to run the same combo you are running if it keeps the RPM close to what they were when running stock size tires and no portals. Than you for any help.

mog9

Hello OILWORKER,
I have a few questions of you don't mind. First off I have sent off an email to TIBUS regarding the Portals for a Defender 110 (thanks for all your persistence in getting portals). I hope to hear back from him soon. My first question is in regards to your Hutchinson wheels. I have not been able to locate that exact style of wheel as you have. Being in the US may be the issue. Do you have a part number and do you recall what the cost was? Also with the 35" tall tires are you running the 1,6:1 or the 1,16:1 portals? I would like to run the same combo you are running if it keeps the RPM close to what they were when running stock size tires and no portals. Than you for any help.

Robert run 6,5" Hutchinson wheels for Mercedes G wagen. Normaly we use the 7,5" Hutchinson with the part nr. WO-0491.
Robert has the gear ratio 1,6-1 and he has changed the ratio of the transfercase.
Now we are making only the 1,16-1 ratio portals. This keeps the RPM and power with the bigger wheels almost at the same level like you run the car without portals and stock tires.

Outback

Explorer
Robert run 6,5" Hutchinson wheels for Mercedes G wagen. Normaly we use the 7,5" Hutchinson with the part nr. WO-0491.
Robert has the gear ratio 1,6-1 and he has changed the ratio of the transfercase.
Now we are making only the 1,16-1 ratio portals. This keeps the RPM and power with the bigger wheels almost at the same level like you run the car without portals and stock tires.

How are they holding up off road and on long highway (65 to 70 mph) sustained speeds? Thanks.

collin

goo goo ganster
Robert,

I have nothing major to say besides, Fantastic rig youve built. Love the updates, your photos and more. I loved going through the 98 pages of your thread. Great work sir, keep it up

Cheers, Collin

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Robert, your Defender was an inspiration for Jeep Corporate for the '15 Easter Jeep Safari's JGC Overlander!!!
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/19/2015-jeep-easter-safari-concepts-moab-official/#image-26
jeep-grand-cherokee-overlander-20-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles