LR3 Fault Diagnostic

Tanto

Adventurer
Hi all,

My 2005 LR3 started throwing faults last week and my suspension is acting up. The faults on startup are:

HDC Fault System Not Available
Transmission Fault

Then the suspension drops to loading height and the ride height control does not work. If I try to put it in 4 LO it says "Special Programs Not Available."

It has a warranty, I'd just like to know if anyone knows what the issues are.

Thanks,

Tanto

Adventurer
Just in case anyone is wondering or wants to take a crack at this. It may be as simple as an old battery. I'm going to try that and if it still doesn't work it goes to the dealership on extended warranty.

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
LR3 fault

I have a 2005 LR3 and when it was time for me to change my battery I would get an error: "HDC Fault System Not Available" only and not the "Transmission Fault".

The HDC error would go away after the vehicle was running for a moment. The day after I noticed my check engine light came on. I just happened to be on the way to the dealer for an oil change appointment. The result was that my battery needed to be replaced. Are you on your original battery?

I didn't experience the other items you describe such as "Special Programs not Available"...

Tanto

Adventurer
It is the original battery. The faults are all over the map and inconsistently turn on. The transmission runs smoothly even with the fault alert and the command shift function works despite the fact that the gear selection doesn't show in the information center.

I found an aftermarket Bosch replacement battery with 850 CCA for less than $100. The factory battery is only 750 CCA, I think I'll try that, clear the codes and see what happens.

Tanto

Adventurer
The old battery was good, tried a new battery, cleared the codes, same problem after a short test drive. Off to the dealership she goes.

PS: I decided I'm definitely keeping my WJ as the trail rig after this computer diagnostic run around.

sandalman

I have the same issue on an '05 SE w/ HD package around 75k kms. It started on Friday and faults every time you drive it, normally after 2 kilometers or so. I replaced the battery three months ago (after similar faults) and the faults had cleared until now. I checked the battery and it looks good, plus the alternator is putting out over 100 amps easily. All faults reset after turning it on and off, but they come back again after another short drive.

On other boards while browsing, I have seen a range of sources from a stuck HDC switch (due to a purse on top), a faulty parkbrake switch, compressor (also changed that in the summer), right up to faulty locking diff, to which I have seen either full replacement of the diff (WOW) or replace motor/actuator...

Anything you find from the dealer would be helpful. I am keeping my 4runner as the trail vehicle as well!

Last edited:

Tanto

Adventurer
Today's list: faulty brake switch, faulty locking diff modulator, bad ride height sensor and bad front ball joints. Thank goodness for extended warranties. I just started making money on mine. How they all went bad at the same time is beyond me. It gets you wondering...

telwyn

Adventurer
I had the same issue on my 06 Range Rover Sport twice in December. Took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed as a compressor issue. They replaced my compressor under warranty and (knock on wood) it has been good since.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Not that you want to hear this tidbit, but...

While I was working at the dealer was when the LR3's first came out in 2005. Many (most) of the 2005s that arrived, fresh off the truck from Land Rover North America, had at least wet carpets, and in quite a few cases had standing water inside. One, I remember, literally flowed water out of the door when opened for the first time on our lot.

This was, according to LR, because of faulty sunroof drains on the first production run. The waterlogged LR3s had the interiors stripped out, were dried with fans over the course of a day or so, and re-assembled. The sunroof drains were updated and then they were then sold to none-the-wiser customers.

While there were no short-term consequences of the soakings (everything looked, smelled, and performed as intended after being dried), a few years later we began seeing cars come back with ghost electrical issues. In several cases, these issues were traced back to corrosion in connectors and harnesses located under the carpets.

In my opinion, these corrosion issues were undoubtedly caused by the soaking that the connectors and harnesses got when new. While reasonable attempts were made to dry out the wet cars, it's unlikely that every drop of water evaporated before the carpets were re-installed.

discotdi

Adventurer
I work at a LR dealership and we had no water logged LR3 models. Must have been unique to your area. sunroof drains do clog up though. As for all of those parts going bad at once, they probably aren't all bad but they are replacing them all because could be any of them causing the issue. Will save you money in the long run, so tell them thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier