2 Roof rack questions for a 2010 jk

atmooney

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 4 door JK Rubicon. WOOHOO! I want to put a roof rack on it and here is what I wonder:

1. If you could add any roof rack, regardless of cost, which one would you add and why? Features, etc...

2. If you were adding a roof rack and cost IS an issue, which one?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Gobi! It not only looks the best. It has the best combo of features for a jeep. I would love one on my two door. Also you can take it off when running a soft top in the summer and not be left with holes in the tube. its also frame supported in the rear and to me thats a must on a jeep with tin sides!

just my $.02

Nate

Last edited:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Mine had the Wilderness rack on it when I bought it. I have the hardtop on my Jeep and while I still can remove the front part of the freedom top without lifting the rack. I would still have to remove it completely to remove the hardtop. The Wilderness rack doesn't tilt back far enough for that. Also the bracket that holds the license plate seems to be an afterthought as it has to be removed just to tilt the rack back and when you do the plate that it mounts to will dig into the bumper cover if the rack is tilted to far.
I have noticed that the paint on the rack is pretty lame. It is not powder coated and is showing sings of rust in some areas. The rack is plenty sturdy enough, I've stood up on the top while strapping stuff to the roof.

If mine didn't have the rack I would most likely get the Gobi rack.
JeepPics006.jpg

Last edited:

atmooney

Looks good to me Bennyhana! Silver 4dr Rubi just like mine... NICE!
Has anyone had any experience with the MBRP rack? Makes the top less removable, I think. Or at least if the top comes off, so does the rack...

:wings:

Last edited:

atmooney

It looks like this. there's a basket, light brackets, and works w/other manufacturers add ons, I think..
Obviously, the basket and other goodies are extra..

Attachments

• 113854-add6-lg.jpg
    113854-add6-lg.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 40

jsmoriss

Explorer
Mine had the Wilderness rack on it when I bought it. I have the hardtop on my Jeep and while I still can remove the front part of the freedom top without lifting the rack. I would still have to remove it completely to remove the hardtop. The Wilderness rack doesn't tilt back far enough for that. Also the bracket that holds the license plate seems to be an afterthought as it has to be removed just to tilt the rack back and when you do the plate that it mounts to will dig into the bumper cover if the rack is tilted to far.
I have noticed that the paint on the rack is pretty lame. It is not powder coated and is showing sings of rust in some areas. The rack is plenty sturdy enough, I've stood up on the top while strapping stuff to the roof.

If mine didn't have the rack I would most likely get the Gobi rack.

I have the Garvin also, and my experience / opinion is similar.

One thing I don't like about the Gobi is those "pads" on the rear uprights. Seems to me a bolted bracket would have been better, but I think Gobi wanted to avoid drilling holes into the body (like the Garvin does). So although I agree with the above, I still tend to prefer the Garvin because of it's more solid mounting.

js.

Rock Yacht

Thanks for the comments. We went after load capacity when designing our rack. What's the point of a rack you can't carry your gear on? We rate our rack, as Hilldweller noted, at a dynamic 500lbs. There is no fine print about how much you can actually carry will off pavement. We have lots of options since we do not build our rack with an integral basket. Bike, ski, canoe, kayak racks. Flat trays, baskets or the alloy (Aluminum) tray - shown above, rack mounted tents (3 sizes), awings (3 sizes), spare tire mounts, jerry can mounts. We have partnered with Rhino Rack USA for the accessories and Camping Lab for the tents.

Our modular roof rack is extremely utilitarian, versatile and tough. Full bolt on, easily removable (with cordless driver) and ships UPS ground.

We will be debuting the rack at EJS (easter Jeep Safari) with a follow up at Overland Expo. Please stop by and see us at either or both locals if you have questions or want to see it up close.

Thanks,

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles