Mercedes W123 Expedition 300TD

kerry

Expedition Leader
Jurgen is a god over on the Diesel Discussion at PeachParts (formerly MercedesShop). There is a breakaway sect that thinks he's just an avatar of Rudolf Diesel.

bitoy

Observer
wow! w123's durability and ruggedness are legendary. :smiley_drive:
Even the hood star is intact!

More adventure photos please!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Where's Andre when you need him? This has been a long time coming, I have great thoughts of a 300 TDI on dirt roads.

Nice job.

Riptide

Explorer
Jeez, that car looked like a perfect specimen to begin with. The W123's engines will outlast many 300TD bodies. Rust prevention usually isn't a strong point...

More power to you, for sure!! Reminds me of that couple that did a trip to Africa in a Lincoln limo...

Scott Brady

Founder
Fantastic thread!

I love this photo, with the grass hanging from the front bumper
4266756995_866974b2c5_b.jpg

Jeepster

Just DO it !

This is great, I love it. Even though I've owned an '85 300 Turbo Diesel station wagon since new and love that they are used everywhere in the world, I never once thought of doing what you are doing with yours. I congratulate you on your spunk, spirit and ingenuity and just going out there, making it happen and just doing it.

I can't wait to see a pic when you put a snorkel on it.......that will be simply amazing !! Good luck and keep us all posted. :wings:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Awesome and wonderful! Cars are increasingly being cheaped out, meanwhile the 123 is built with tow hooks on both ends.

How did you compensate in the rear for all of that additional weight? I notice little/no sagging when they are so prone...

I would really like to see more stuff like this. I love the big trucks, but this is very refreshing. Something between a landcruiser and a mongol rally entry. Practical simple and effective. Best of luck on your travels. Cheers!

Is there a site with more of this type of approach?

pint

Adventurer
Fantastic! I love to see something different. Always gets my mind churning. Believe me, I love all the Land Rovers, Landcruisers, etc, but this is way cool! I have a feeling you're going to motivate a lot of people to think "outside the box." Good luck on your journey.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Awesome! In my opinion the 123 body and 616/617 engines were the best cars ever built.

The only trouble with this is word will get out how great these cars and these engines are and the cheap and plentiful supply will start to dry up!

You're my new hero! Great vision and execution!

D

Deleted member 9101

I love it, for many years I have wanted to do somethign similar so I can travel and get good gas mileage.

spamman450

What springs and shocks did you use? I want to increase the ride height of my 240D.

Cheapest route is to get some spring shims. Springs from a 300D will work too as they are a bit more robust.

Anyone know if a 300TD like Blurg's would be capable of doing the Mojave Road?

cletaco

Observer
What the others have said. This is incredibly inspiring. One of my all time favorite cars. Yes, more photos please!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne