Mercedes W123 Expedition 300TD

Jrally

Adventurer
Now I'm thinking I should have started my project with an estate (wagon), rather then a two door fast back... Great adventure car, keep the pictures coming and safe travels.

-Jon

Michael Slade

Untitled
Cheapest route is to get some spring shims. Springs from a 300D will work too as they are a bit more robust.

Anyone know if a 300TD like Blurg's would be capable of doing the Mojave Road?

After seeing his photos of that car crossing the Jordan dunes, I would say yes it would make it.

And yes, I've driven the Mojave Road.

Carter protection plate.

My dear friend,

I have a 240D of 84. I would like to know where I could find a protection plate for the bottom of my engine, and could you be so kind to tell me what product you use against corrosion on the bottom of you 300TD and where I can find it.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Sincerly yours.

Fred (from Belgium).

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
wicked. what a cool car. love the rack and rear cargo setup. Great action shots from africa, and I love to see the people in your shots too. A lot of times it just a truck and a landscape, but adding the local population makes them much richer photo's.

blurg

It's so cool to read these enthousiastic posts! :smiley_drive:

We're about to start another trip again. We're preparing for Asia, we depart on this world trip which we will continue in spring 2011. Hopefully we will continue to the USA after we did central and eastern Asia.
In that case, I'll try the Mojave road ;-)

I'm now busy preparing the car for the upcoming trip. I'd like to add higher tyres and eventuall I'm able to fix 16" inch on it.

Also, after 235000km the differential needs to be replaced, it makes a lot of noise. Yes, thing sometimes need to be replaced, even on a W123 :)

The protection plate is an original MB part, I can look up the part number if you like, I got mine from Ebay.

Outback

Explorer
Blurg,
When you get to the US I would love to go out with you and your wife and show you some Ghost Towns out here in Nevada! The Mojave road is totally do able most of the time in 2wd. Most of the time. Ive done it in my jeep years ago in 2wd. Ive said it before and your thread proves it, most expedition adventures can be done in a 2 wheel drive vehicle. You have done an excellent job outfitting your expedition Rig! I LOVE it! Steaks and beer on me when you get to Nevada!

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
thanks for the update...great car and I am looking forward to more pics & thoughts from the road.

blurg

Small update.

We're about to depart end of the week so the work on the car is going on.
Adjusting the valves, compression check, buying some parts to bring with us and so on.

One of the things I'm always tampering with is the tyres. This year I'll try something different again. I've bought 195/80/15 tyres and fitted them on my 15 inch W126 rims.

4793329872_2c13a3ce7a_z.jpg

We're also installing a Xenon set, because of the much better light output.
It's an easy setup and I can go back to the original lightbulbs if necessary, which is important for me.

I've also lifted the car a bit by putting in rubber distance block which are fixed between to rotations.

@Outback:
Tnx for the invite :) We're unsure about where to go next, but it might be the USA indeed. I've never been there and I really want to see and experience it.
You're right, you don't need 4wd so much as people think, lot's of things are possible.
I would love to cruise through the Ghost towns of Nevada :)

Jurgen

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Blurg,
I know Im not the only one who would show you some pretty cool places here in the U.S.. As far as your tires are you going with an all terrain tires?

blurg

Hi, yes, more people are enthousiastic. I think especially on this forum people are very enthousiastic, I don't know why, you all sound very kind :wings:

The tires have a normal tread, maybe a bit more as normal tyres.
These are usually used on vans and have extra strong sidewalls.

You can see it on the image.

llmc7.jpg

What a beautiful W123! My original plan was to drive my 300D on WVO through SA but my partner wanted to do the trip in a Discovery.

i love the pics and i am reading your blog!

happy travels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne