Mercedes W123 Expedition 300TD

Raredog

Observer
Way to cool overlander!

I'm one of those who tries to be preparred for everything and MUST have 4x4 or 6x6 and lots of mods, and then you click on this tread and see someone doing it in a W123! Thats fantastic :) Keep updating!

Telcobilly

Observer
Wow! Very impressive! Always liked those cars. I'm feeling a lot better about my 2wd Tacoma after seeing the pics of that car plowing through the mud. I lifted mine and put AT tires on it, but was beginning to think I was throwing good money after bad. Looks like all you need is a solid drive train, decent traction and some ground clearance.

Way to go!

Plantdriver

HD W123 Springs

Part numbers for HD springs would be amazing. Can't find them anywhere.

I have an '84 300D sedan, and set it up to be Baja ready with new HD springs for an '84 300SD - I bought them, plus HD Bilstien shocks, from Pelican Parts.

I also added the factory oil pan skidplate from Pelican, changed the wheels to 240D steel wheels, and run Yokahama LT195/75R14 10-ply tires (Vanagon Synchro owners swear by them.)

All of these upgrades were also to handle the weight of a 45 gallon aluminum trunk tank that holds 45 gallons of WVO - in Baja (like in the SF Bay Area, where I live, you can convert a Mercedes diesel to run on nothing but WVO (any other diesel needs to be converted to start on diesel (or biodiesel) and then switch to WVO when the engine is warmed up. So, my stock tank holds 18 gallons, and that plus the 45 in the trunk tank = 63 gallons, x approx. 22-24 mpg means I have a range of 1400-1500 miles - on free fuel that's also climate-change neutral.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Great thread, and I'd definitely like to see more info on your vehicle, OP.

Thanks for posting!

jkam

nomadic man
I sure wish the OP would drop on by with an update.

We recently purchased a 1978 Mercedes 240D. 4 speed, no A/C, with electric windows and sunroof.
It is a 2 owner since new car and has just over 107,000 miles. Interior looks like new and it runs great.
The original owners ordered it and the n did a European delivery to pick it up. Back in 1978 that was something.
Since they lived in rural Oregon and diesel back then wasn't easily available, they had installed an auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk.
I haven't filled it yet but it looks to be about 15 or so gallons.
That, added to the 18 gallon stock tank should give me over 1000 miles of range.

While I don't plan to make this one into an expedition vehicle, it's just too nice.

I would like to see what the OP has been doing with one that has been made to explore.

Attachments

• Trunk and Aux. fuel tank.JPG
    Trunk and Aux. fuel tank.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 32

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier