Where to start with mods?

atmooney

I know this thread's been done, but I couldn't find it..
I recently bought a '10 Rubicon 4dr. I want it to end up as an expo rig. Having already spent ALOT on the truck, the mods have to come slowly...
I'm looking at bumpers, and racks so far. Not that I'll get both right away...
I guess suspension might be good, but I don't know JACK about it. With added weight, it'll need something I assume.
Long story short: What 3 things would you all do first?
Thanks and sorry for re-hashing a well discussed topic.
---Al

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
1. Drive it
2. Drive it off road
3. Figure out what you need based on experiences and where you are driving (i.e. - lift it if you go over big rocks and drag differentials, get a roof rack if you have a lot of people and camp gear)

my .02c

Uticon

Adventurer
1. Drive it
2. Drive it off road
3. Figure out what you need based on experiences and where you are driving (i.e. - lift it if you go over big rocks and drag differentials, get a roof rack if you have a lot of people and camp gear)

I totally agree.
The expo modes i have done were mostly from trips where i had what i needed but how could i transport or better incorporate what i need into my jeep.
I have a budget boost lift and thats all i have really needed for the places i want to go. Everything else is more functional than cosmetic.

korisu56

Adventurer
If only other jeep sites would say this. For some reason they all go LIFT LIFT LIFT.

x1,000,000 on what they're saying. drive it, wheel it, camp with it. You goals will come very quickly after a couple of trips. I swore off roof racks until I went out and realized how much of a benefit they are.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
1- Self recovery. Being able to un-stuck yourself should be the first modification. This can be something as simple as a shovel or as complex as a winch.

2- on board air. Even something simple will work. In my opinion airing down make a bigger difference in performance than lockers.

3- Drive it. You already have lockers and a disconnect sway-bar ( Rubicon model ) so learn how to use all that stuff properly. Far too many times on the trail I see a lot of people that don't.

KSJeep

Explorer
I agree with the above, you all ready have one of the most capable rigs made, recovery gear/winch and onboard air will get you out of alot of problems far away from help.

jsmoriss

Explorer
I'd have to say tires.

You don't have to buy them, but tires (size and type) will define what you build - especially the size. That'll give you a future shopping list for a lift (coils, control arms, trackbars, brackets, etc.) and possibly new gears -- these are some of the more expensive items.

Decide if you're going to go off-road, and how far. Partly this'll come from your reflection on tires too. :) How far off-road you go will determine if you need a winch -- another pricey item.

If you need a winch, don't be cheap. And if you need a winch, that'll mean a new front bumper. If you also choose 35" tires (or bigger), then plan on a new rear bumper / tire carrier too.

Those are the big items. Making a mistake on the big items will cost you more. :)

And I'd say skip the roof rack unless you really need it. You can't put heavy stuff up there, it gets in the way of the soft-top, and it impacts fuel economy.

js.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I would say even before recovery gear I would get some armor for the bottom. Doesn't have to be crazy but it should protect your oil pan, engine/tranny.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Good advices here.

Use it as is first and save your money - sounds like you've already streched yourself a bit to buy the truck itself so take a break.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Drive it like you stole it :)..

I'll have to agree with most here and forgo a lot of the 'traditional' jeep stuff.

The 4 door rubi is darn capable bone stock for anything that 'expo' would normally do.

Id grab a tow strap and an AEV jack base minimum.

The highlift can be handy for recovery but its a pain to store and dangerous to use. Its also about useless changing tires on a coil sprung vehicle.

If you intend to go out with a few other people you can probably wait on the winch as well. I never ran one when I lived in the north east because I'd always go out with 3-4 other vehicles. As long as you had enough tow straps to go around the winches weren't really needed for mild offroading.

If you're going solo that's another issue all together.

I'm not even sure the rubi really needs any extra skids. Its not bad as is. Honestly you'd be better off learning where all of the 'vital' parts are under the Jeep and learning to drive to keep them safe. Skids == weight, weight you will soon find is the enemy.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94