Where to start with mods?

hugh

Observer
I am on my 3rd jeep, this ones a modified XJ. I am in a local Jeep club. Look around and see if there is a jeep or off road club in your area if you haven't already. They can be great sources of info. Just drive your Jeep, don't make any modifications for awhile. The Rubicon models are more capable right out of the box than you can even imagine. If you decide to go alone without another vehicle buy a winch. Even one of those chinese made 8000 lb ones will do. Some of them even come with a mounting plate that may fit on the frame in the front. Then make sure if you ever take a chance where you might get stuck don,t do it if there is not something you can hook onto. Or make or buy a pull pal type of tool. Other than that buy a snatch strap with loops sewn on the ends [no chain] , a couple of clevis's, first aid kit and a small fire extinquisher. You will be surprise but if you get stuck on a muddy road or sandy trail letting air out of your tires will often get you going again so a small portable air compressor is real handy too. Enjoy your Jeep:wings:

mrchips

Adventurer
I would take a off road driving course, the course will teach you good basics driving do,s and dont's and also get you comfortable with what your Jeep is capable off. Join in on a few runs as a guest with a club and learn from other people. Then you can decide what you want to do in the form of protection or recovery.
Here is an example site:

http://www.badlandsoffroadadventures.com

phxtoad

Adventurer
Common sense - don't wheel alone. Learn your rig by wheeling with others.
Armor. Duh. Protect your drivetrain. Then maybe protect the body.
Traction will get you farther than articulation.
Then lift so you don't have to worry about it scraping so much.
Finesse can't be acheived with money.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I would get skid plates first. People say "drive it then figure out what you need". Well the way you figure out what you need is by dragging your underside and damaging parts, unless you put on skid plates first.

atmooney

Thanks guys, great advice! Racks will happen, as I have 4 kids, and want to carry snowboards, kayaks, etc.
I bought the Rubi because it needed very little from the start. I've purchased a hi-lift jack, and a CB, and already had straps. Once I go for the racks, I'll be set! Thanks again for the great advice!
--Al:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier