Shortbusadventure's Tiger Motorhome build

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
As some people know on here, my wife and I have been traveling the United States for 6+ months in a converted yellow shortbus. While we love "Marge", and the fun that comes with shortbus travel, our necks/backs as well as other needs were not being met. Standing up was #1 for us. Having a place to shower and potty. As well as 4 wheel drive. We are full timing for a few years, so we wanted an upgrade. After much research, deliberation, and then a tour of Provan Industries, we decided to have a Tiger built.

Finally got pictures of my 09' GMC 3500HD Duramax/Allison that will be the platform for our Tiger Motorhome. We already had a Leveling kit installed with Bilsteins all around, HD sway bar, sulastic rear shackles, HD steering components, powder coated the stock wheels w/Toyo MT's. A Buckstop front bumper/winch will be installed while the coach is assembled.

We should be picking the rig up mid March if all goes well. I have a ton of work, stripping the bus of our solar/battery/charging systems that will be transferred to the Tiger. We are also adding one of our Engel fridges to the rear section of the crew cab. We plan to build a customer rear bumper/platform to haul 2 dirt bikes with us. The roof will have solar and some storage.

I will be updating this thread as I have more pics of the build process and our adventures ahead.

Pics as follows: Our new truck, A Tiger example, Buckstop front bumper (ours will be black)
DSC_0050.jpg

Henderson018.jpg

buckstop.jpg

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Tiger Motorhome Size?

I stopped by ProVan on my way through Columbia, S.C. last year. There was a model open in the parking lot so I took a look inside. I was impressed but surprised how small they are on the inside. Great for 2 people but probably no more. I am sure you will enjoy!

Lutzy48

I like your choice of the bumper. I have had my eye on this for sometime for my Tiiger. Hope to have it installed on my Ford Tiger before I head to Alaska after retirement in two years. I just completed adding Firestone Ride Rites and am quite pleased with them. We have some serious frost heaves this year and the airbags have really made a difference.

Alan

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
This is killing me. This is the first truck I have purchased over the internet/phones with a dealer. I even had them take it to an offroad shop to have the suspension redone. I normally do all my own work, so handing it off was difficult. I would like to drive it before it transforms into a motorhome, but I don't think I'll get the chance. The techs at the dealer asked what I had done to it, as they said it drove better than any dually they had driven. Oh well, a few more pics.
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
This is killing me. This is the first truck I have purchased over the internet/phones with a dealer. I even had them take it to an offroad shop to have the suspension redone. I do all my own work. I would like to drive it before it transforms into a motorhome. The techs at the dealer asked what I had done as they said it drove better than any dually they had driven.

So, what did you have done? :)

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I bet those Bilsteins are helping...
Any feedback from the techs about the tires, by the way ?
(I am waffling back and forth over the Toyo M/T and the M-55, right now...)

Um, forgive me, but I am a little confused. It's a dually, but the photos of the Tiger are SRW ? Is there a dually version of the Tiger ? Did I miss this somewhere ?

Regardless, I think this is very cool ! ! !

Cheers,
Frank

This is killing me. This is the first truck I have purchased over the internet/phones with a dealer. I even had them take it to an offroad shop to have the suspension redone. I do all my own work. I would like to drive it before it transforms into a motorhome. The techs at the dealer asked what I had done as they said it drove better than any dually they had driven. Oh well, a few more pics.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
I bet those Bilsteins are helping...
Any feedback from the techs about the tires, by the way ?
(I am waffling back and forth over the Toyo M/T and the M-55, right now...)

Um, forgive me, but I am a little confused. It's a dually, but the photos of the Tiger are SRW ? Is there a dually version of the Tiger ? Did I miss this somewhere ?

Regardless, I think this is very cool ! ! !

Cheers,
Frank

The suspension upgrade was a front leveling kit that replaced the front control arms. Longer front Bilsteins up front, replaced rear shocks with bilsteins. The steering components were all replaced with HD parts. A HD front swaybar with HD endlinks was also added. The rear leaf springs were upgraded with Sulastic Shackles. The shackles smooth out the rear suspension over sharp bumps, railroad tracks, separation joints, and other rough terrain. I added them to help reduce the small vibration that will undoubtedly beat up the tiger coach.

The techs noted smoother and more responsive ride with better turn in.

I have many buddies who run the Toyo M/T's, and have had great success. My buddy loves them for his toyota race truck. I cannot comment on the tires, except that every Toyo I ever ran on my race and street cars were outstanding. They have exceptional quality control, and produce one of the roundest tires I have ever balanced. The M55 does look like a great tire. If the M/T's end up to noisy or do not get the mileage #'s, I will probably try the m55's.

The picture I put up was indeed a SRW. We are building a DRW Tiger. The only DRW tiger on their site was a FORD. Being a GM guy, I chose to show the Crew Cab GM, and let everyone use their imagination.

-Kevin

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the details and good impressions of the Toyo tires !

Sounds like you did a fantastic job with the suspension as a coherent system and it's too bad the OEs cannot do that, but there we are...

I have Bilstein 7100s on the Rover, after having the 5100s. It's a big improvement. I wish I had painted them beforehand, however, as they corroded almost immediately :(

Thanks for clarifying about doing the DRW Tiger - I'll try to use my imagination more ;)

I am very glad for you folks putting together such a great project. You are sure to enjoy it ! ! !

Cheers,
Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94