Shortbusadventure's Tiger Motorhome build

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey Shortbus,

Long time no update…how is the GMC Tiger doing? I miss seeing updates on the true full-size back country adventure rig threads. I’ve always been a big fan of your rig :drool:.

Are you going to be able to make it to OX13? Hope all is well.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Yep, I slack!

I have been spending more time on 2 wheels lately. Its hard to get into a vehicle when we have so much great riding out the back door around here. We have been using the camper for short weekend trips lately, and my two buddies have been using it a fair bit in the last year. One buddy went on a mtn bike trip with his lady to Moab. My other buddy uses it all time for fly fishing trips locally. My lady is an accountant, and she has recently come back to reality as tax season ended. We have been doing short trips around central Oregon so she can see the local sights.

Update on Tiger Suspension: I had the rear main spring in the leaf pack trimmed recently. I have been working with Don Thuren, who supplied my custom King shocks to fine tune the suspension. As I had the leaf pack beefed up at one point with two additional leafs, the large main spring was rather harsh in the suspension cycle. Trimming 7" off of each end has smoothed out big and harsh hits. We are also going to add limit straps to the front suspension to help soften the top out I sometimes experience with large holes. The valving is dead on, and it is surprising how well it handles. Don had not ridden in the tiger until recently, and was impressed.

Two weekends ago at Summer Lake Hot springs, Fort Rock, and Green Mtn.

Tiger below Fort Rock

Been Having too much fun on two wheels

Looking forward to more trips this summer. Sadly, we are not attending OX13. I have to many two wheeled trips planned already.
-Kevin

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking if you're out exploring, then there is no need to apologize for not attending something that gathers explorers, they'll all understand :)

Good to see you still using the rig and adding to the adventure with all the 2 wheeled travels

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Not selling!!!

As of recently, I have received a few emails and messages regarding my Tiger. It is not for sale, and do not intend to sell it in the near future.
If I ever sell it, it will most likely be here.

-Kevin

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Nice weekend riding motos at the Alvord desert. A few really nice VW Syncros, Two Land Sails, a small two seater plane, drones, boom sticks, dogs, camp fire, and a few drinks .
Now to clean the fine white powder off of everything!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498811.481320.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498829.864962.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498840.587502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498876.974647.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498898.136311.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498913.935803.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498977.411569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429498997.939703.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429499010.100847.jpg

Conagher

Wheels

It looks like you have swapped wheels- first picture from your post yesterday. Am I correct? If so, did you have an issue with the last set?

Great expo rig and thread!!

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
It looks like you have swapped wheels- first picture from your post yesterday. Am I correct? If so, did you have an issue with the last set?

Great expo rig and thread!!

Good eye!

I did indeed change the wheels recently. The last few years I have not been off-roading like I used to. The Beadlocks were quite heavy and I have been using the tiger more as a basecamp and hauler of two wheeled toys. Pounding more miles the Beadlocks were unnecessary.

I switched to a set of 18" Method NV wheels with Goodyear Adventure Kevlar A/T's. I also had to replace the upper ball joints, and tie rods. I already had upgraded tie rods, and they only made it 40k. The new tie rods are even bigger and they have better range of motion. I had a local shop so some fab work to install limit straps for the front suspension. The limit straps would have saved my ball joints and possibly the tie rods. The bushings on the rear shackles were completely blown out and one of the bolts was broken. While doing all of the repairs, i replaced the brake pads with some commercial Ambulance HD pads and stainless lines. Very happy with the braking performance now. I also had a shop install a shift kit upgrade for the Allison transmission.

All of the suspension upgrades and repairs has greatly improved the on and off-road handling and quieted down some noises.

I wish I had done the transmission kit long ago. It's night and day!

Conagher

Wheels

Thanks for the reply!!! Did you go OEM with the replaced suspension parts or aftermarket? If the latter, what brand. Great mods.

We have a f350 w/ an XP V1 on the back that I am making slow mods too.

Enjoy the road

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
I had originally replaced all of the OEM with Cognito parts.
The Tie rods were not able to match the range of motion that the suspension was going through. They were twice as big as stock. The newest Tie Rods are from http://rareparts.com/, they are twice as big as the cognito units and they can go through the full range of suspension travel without binding.
The upper ball joints were a bolt in from Cognito for the tubular control arms. They would have lasted longer had I installed the limit straps long ago.
The rear bushings are for the Sulastic shackles. They now include washers with the urethane bushings. I'm guessing the washers will prolong the life.

I love the XP, and would go that route if I could start over.

-Kevin

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
The Tiger has a new Home!

I knew this day was coming. Through word of mouth, El Tigre has a new den. She went to a local Bend couple that have been rocking a 94' Tiger for some time. They were looking to upgrade and had known of my rig.

I had wanted to sell it as I had not been using it enough. I had built it for full time living, and that had not been the case for years.

I have acquired a James Baroud Evasion, roof top tent, and an awning for my truck. With a few bits of storage, and gear, it will serve my needs. I will start a new build thread.

Detailed and heading to its new home!
616a3862290bbe2f36acc5d87b8df0cb.jpg

The new setup:
d8583d468d00e7e1fce1faed097e11b2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94