What is a Montero Generation II.5?

pint

Adventurer
What exactly is a Mitsubishi Montero generation II.5? I think I know, but am not sure. Hard to find specific info here and elsewhere? Tons of info on gen 1,2,3 but not much of 2.5? I think they have the more "flared out" fenders? If it's what I think, I like the look the best. Any benefits over a 2nd generation? Does it have a solid rear axle? Available rear locker, rear heat & AC, 3rd seat? Any problem areas? I'm planning to build a DD, family camping, back country expo vehicle to replace my Landcruiser. Sorry for all the questions! Is this one?

Montero.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Not exactly sure on the years, but I think the 2.5's ran from 98 to 2000. With the winter package they had a rear locker. Solid rear axle. Great looking and capable trucks. Harder to find than the Gen II's and a little more spendy but still a good deal. I know others with more knowledge will chime in here soon.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not exactly sure on the years, but I think the 2.5's ran from 98 to 2000. With the winter package they had a rear locker. Solid rear axle. Great looking and capable trucks. Harder to find than the Gen II's and a little more spendy but still a good deal. I know others with more knowledge will chime in here soon.

What he said. One downside is that [speculation] because Mitsu was making their truck more American Market friendly, aka land of SUV's[/speculation] they elected to put in a 4.2x gear ratio instead if the preferred 4.6x or 4.9x gears that most off roaders would prefer.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Anyone else? Is it worth the price diff to go from a 2nd gen to 2.5?

Depends on the shape of the different vehicles you're finding, your mechanical abilities and willingness to work on an older rig, and also your style preference as some like the look of the gen 2.5's.

Other than that either vehicle is very capable.

Oh, one other advantage of the gen 2.5 is they don't have the same issue with the intake manifold butterfly valves as the gen II 3.5L DOHC engine. This is not 'difficult' to fix but it is a lot of work to r&r the intake manifold.

HTH.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Here's my 1998 Gen II.5

Now

DSCN0738.jpg

and when bought

DSCN0714.jpg

It is an amazing truck. Hold out for the Gen II.5.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Very nice...thank you! What mods have you done? Any problems so far?

ARB front bumper
custom rear bumper
sliders
snorkel
bouncy seats with cloth seats :)
sleeping platform with storage under
Garmin 7200 street pilot
custom computer mount
31x10.5x15 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's
CB radio
I'm sure there's more, just don't remember.

and of course I removed a bunch of stuff before the trail did.

The only problem I had was the alternator, so I had it rebuilt.

pint

Adventurer
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but there are not many Montero's around here. That's a good thing to me! Anyway, how will I know if it has the rear locker? Is there a switch to turn it on/off? I'm used to Landcruisers with a dial to the left of the steering wheel for the locking diff(s).

locker.jpg

GrassCat

Adventurer
Look for the locker switch in front of the 4x4 lever, beside the cigarette light, also there should be an orange sticker on the drivers side of the console.

You can see it here

DSCN0737.jpg

Cambo

Adventurer
I have heard mention of the 'bouncy' seats twice now. Is this an aftermarket or other stock mitsu upgrade? Also, does the Gen II.5 have the huge sunroof like the Gen II's and does the T-case also have the center diff lock? Thanks

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have heard mention of the 'bouncy' seats twice now. Is this an aftermarket or other stock mitsu upgrade? Also, does the Gen II.5 have the huge sunroof like the Gen II's and does the T-case also have the center diff lock? Thanks

It's available on the non-electric seats for the Gen II & II.5. That's typically found in the RS or LS trim levels.

Yes the sunroof is there.

Yes it has a center diff lock.

Cambo

Adventurer
It's available on the non-electric seats for the Gen II & II.5. That's typically found in the RS or LS trim levels.

Yes the sunroof is there.

Yes it has a center diff lock.

Thanks! Where in Norcal are you? I live in the Stockton area and noticed a few Mitsu's in the local Pick-n-Pull. I will be checking those out soon.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks! Where in Norcal are you? I live in the Stockton area and noticed a few Mitsu's in the local Pick-n-Pull. I will be checking those out soon.

I'm not far from Stockton in Lathrop. Grasscat (he has the green gen 2.5) however is in the Bay Area and not that local. Mine is a gold gen 2. You can see it in my build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior