My Craigslist Score....

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I finally got lucky and hit a pretty good Craigslist score. I ocassionally chekc craigslist for fridges, mostly with little to no luck. Yesterday, I finally got lucky.

I saw an ad for a "norcold dual voltage fridge/freezer". That was the only description, and there were two crappy cell phone pictures. The price? $50.00

I called the guy, left a message and forgot about it until later last night when he returned my call. The guy is from the sticks. WAY out in the sticks.

Anyway, I asked if he still had it and he did. I asked him if he could tell me a little about it, to which his word-for-word reply was [read with your best country hick impression] "well waddya wanna know?" "Its a teeny little fridge that works good for keeping the beers cold. I used to use it on ma front porch when I would drink beer, but now I dont drink beers anymore."

"It also plugs into the cigarette lighter in your truck, for when you need to go get more beer....( laughs.....). I got it from a friend o mine who used to work at a RV shop. It will hold about 3 cases of beer."

Not really getting the info I needed, I just asked him for the model number so I could do some quick research. I knew it was an older model by the pictures, but it looked pretty small in the ad, and small wont work for me. He told me the model number:

MRFT 660

Ok... this is a big fridge. It should work well for me and even though its not quite as efficient as a newer model, I can certainly live with it. They dont make this exact model any more, but from what I can tell the MRfT 60 is roughly the same thing, just a little more refined.

Stock photo:
product_MFRT60.jpg

I call the guy back and tell him I will be there in the morning to check it out and probably pick it up.

Get to the guys house, which is about an hour away from me, and he is already outside waiting on me. After a few minutes of chatting he says..." Hey, you know I was on the interwebs last night, and you can buy these things new for over a thousand bucks! "

I tried my best to look shocked, shook my head in fained disbelief, and handed him his fifty bucks. He took it, but you could see the hunger in his eyes as the realization came that he could have gotten more money for it.

Got the fridge back home, completely stripped it down, gave all the electronics a little love, and sanded the entire shell and piece parts. I will paint it to look more like the newer models and then throw it all back together. I dont know what year it was made, but it is a solidly built unit for sure. I need to pick up a couple new latches since the olds ones are tweeked, and a new seal while I am at it, but it sits there and purrs like a kitten. Little bit of surface rust around the bottom edges, but it all came out pretty darn clean. Anyone know how to tell what year it was made?

I will post picture of it when I get it all painted and back together. Right now it is sanded, cleaned and taped up waiting on me.

Just wanted to share... I am stoked! Finally got a craigslist score.

~ Stump

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on your find! If this is your first fridge/freeze prepare to be 'changed' forever more!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, I have been using one of those coleman 12 volt "coolers" for about 3+ years now. Its gotten me by, but not easily. Nowhere near a real fridge.... I am really looking forward to it. Also glad I found the bigger fridge, with my new trailer, room is not an issue.

~ James

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Couldnt have been too far back in the sticks if he knew to Google.. albeit too late. :sombrero:

Congrats James...

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Congrats on the find. My luck would have been no money till Friday and he sold it on Thursday night. Guess it wasn't meant to be as my wife likes to say. Man I hate that saying! LOL

Pete Wilson

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Well, once again I failed to take 'before' pictures assuming I could steal the pics he had on the craigslist ad, but he has already deleted the ad....so, you just have to trust me that it looks about a 100 times better than it did on yesterday!

Here are the pics, after a fresh paint job. Once I get all of the electrics cleaned up and straightened out, I will put it all back in as well and post final pictures. The only thing I can tell that I *need* is two new latches for the front, and a new gasket. I dont really need them, but I would like to have a fresh gasket, and the latches are a little worse for wear, but both items are functional for now.

DSCN1665.jpg

DSCN1666.jpg

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1668.jpg

Couple pics of the cooling system and electronics. Just got to get rid of the cobwebs, clean off a little surface rust, and tidy up some connections.

DSCN1669.jpg

DSCN1670.jpg

Polished off most of the little surface rust ont he hardware:

DSCN1671.jpg

After most of the hardware is back on, just waiting on the electronics and cooling. Cant believe I got this thing for 50 bucks!!

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1673.jpg

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Score of the decade!! I have that fridge and love it, we are a family of 4 and it is awesome for 3-4 day trips with NO ice!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Now that you've had the fridge for a while can you give some feedback??

The only feedback I can give you is that I am STILL kicking myself for letting the fridge go with my old trailer that I sold. Havent had the fridge in over a year now, but used it quite a bit while I had it. Worked like a champ, and I will be getting another very soon.

~ Stump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94