Trailer build based on a utility trailer

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Outback Trailers in Steele, Alabama built it for me. They are a small company building utility trailers in NorthEast Alabama. Over all, they did a good job at a fair price.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Where are you thinking of going? It's supposed to be Africa-hot this weekend... ...otherwise we'd camp with ya...
You want to just drag it around Cohutta to try it out?
Don't know yet. We might be not going at all and look at some old Jeeps instead; Cederic is turning 15 shortly and decided he needs to follow my steps when it comes to vehicles :yikes:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
update?

Swiss,

Any more updates or pics? How's the trailer working out for you?

I've been thinking about taking an approach similar to yours. I'm located in AL, so Outback would be a logical source.

Any pics of the gas and water can compartment loaded? One idea I've been thinking about was having a forward compartment like that made entirely of the wire mesh material, with a locking, swing-up lid. This would be similar to the lockable compartment seen on landscaping trailers.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Trailer is sitting in the garage collecting dust :( We just have been too busy with other things than for going camping. I will see if I can take some more driveway pictures as it is now a little bit more finished than on the last pics. Your idea of the front compartment sounds like a good idea. Outback is good to work with, just let them exactly know what you want (don't forget, they are utility trailer builders and don't have a feeling of what the "expedition weirdos" need :elkgrin:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Where are your updates, Michael?

Swiss brought the trailer out over the weekend and subjected it to a pretty decent cold/rainy night's use.

077.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
This might be a little late, but I have a woodworking shop in my basement.

I have a jig saw, too, but I only use it to cut curves... :sombrero:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Over-all, the trailer worked very well.

I was surprised that I did not scrape on this 'lil bump here, but was beyond the capability of a regular 2" ball receiver; I did manage to bend the internal bracket thingy inside the ball receiver of the trailer.

Thanksgivings2010-01.jpg

As a result I had some play in the coupler and was even able to prey the trailer off the hook. I put a lot of weight in the front of the trailer to keep enough weight on the tongue and managed to get home fine, but made sure after every bump in the road that the trailer did not come loose. I guess I will be in the market for a multi-axis-coupler :elkgrin:

There are a couple of details I still need to work on, but over all, I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

Thanksgivings2010-06.jpg

Now I just need to go camping more often.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online