Trailer build based on a utility trailer

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
[quote sometimes on my Carry-on utility trailer.
Commander00.jpg

I actually find it more practical on the trailer. So for a while I was ogling with an off-road trailer (or a FlipPac for my JK ;)) [/quote]

That's exactly what I'm talk'n about!!! Just high enough to get in without a ladder. PERFECT!:wings:

While you mentioned (but I edited most of the post out) that your utility trailer was not a true off roader like some you mentioned.

While the hitch may be different and the approach and departure angle may be different, what makes you thin it won't go off road.

Is the steel milder or softer? Seems you could take the wheels off it and drag it over rocks and it would still be back there if the hitch didn't fail. My utility trailer is pretty stout, if it got hung up, I'm sure it would stop my F-150. So guess I'm missing something there, I would think that with good driving technique you could pull that in most places any other trailer would follow....maybe not as easily, but why wouldn't it go?

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
[quote sometimes on my Carry-on utility trailer.
Commander00.jpg

I actually find it more practical on the trailer. So for a while I was ogling with an off-road trailer (or a FlipPac for my JK ;))

That's exactly what I'm talk'n about!!! Just high enough to get in without a ladder. PERFECT!:wings:

While you mentioned (but I edited most of the post out) that your utility trailer was not a true off roader like some you mentioned.

While the hitch may be different and the approach and departure angle may be different, what makes you thin it won't go off road.

Is the steel milder or softer? Seems you could take the wheels off it and drag it over rocks and it would still be back there if the hitch didn't fail. My utility trailer is pretty stout, if it got hung up, I'm sure it would stop my F-150. So guess I'm missing something there, I would think that with good driving technique you could pull that in most places any other trailer would follow....maybe not as easily, but why wouldn't it go?

The trailer on the pic was the old, standard carry-on with a SOA lift, 2,000 lbs axle and 13" tires. Of course you can drag it off road, question is with how much damage to the trailer, the cargo and the environment.

Talking now about my current trailer (which btw still does not require a ladder to get into the Maggiolina :D), in slow off-road situations is the current 2"ball coupler and the standard, road based tires are probably the only limiting factor. The conditions that separate the "boys from the men", or my type of trailer from the true off-road trailers, are higher speed fire road/washboard kinda situations. There it clearly is the suspension (short trailer springs, no shocks) together with the stock trailer tires which is the limit. A harsh suspension like this will automatically over short or long lead to cracks and ultimately failures on the non-gusseted welds of the trailer frame (angle irons). A fully boxed frame will withstand the torture a little longer as there are two more welds per joint. Other things to fail do the the harsh ride will possibly be the RTT attachment and the Maggiolina itself. About my plywood doors, riveted hinges and the cargo in the trailer we don't even have to talk. :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, I like your set up. I'm retired, I have all day to get any place I need to go. I think my needs are very similar to yours. How mine is loaded really makes a difference on its performance. I have a washboard road to my cabin and it rides fine with about 400 lbs on it to keep it down. Empty, it flies further than it rolls. Mine was "over built" for its original intended purpose. It has a tilt bed and the latch is probably the weakest link, but that's an easy fix by several methods. It also has a ramp tailgate that can come off if needed, no big deal, but very handy for the bike. Can that tent be carried on its side and fold down? I'd like the set upyou have but with the capability to haul the bike too.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Thanksgivings2010-02.jpg
SAM_0094.jpg
100_0715.jpg

My trailer is for sale; it has worked very well for me the last 2 years but I need the space in my garage for a new project. Looking for $2,900 or best offer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior