ShadyBoy Awning

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Reflective, but the waterproofing is wearing a bit thin. If it isn't tied out well enough it will hold water in a down pour and leak.

A

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I just bought this awning for my rig, and I love it. It is well engineered and I like the dimensions of it. While I set this up in my driveway, the wind caught it and inverted the awning upwards ~ I had it tied down on the ends, but not too well. The rear support pole had flexed and came out of it's machined hole, but the pole did not break. There is a little 'suspension' give to this awning that is not present in my Mombasa. If I tie this down and put some tension against the downdraft poles, it is a pretty good awning.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
IMAG0056.jpg

Mine has held up well...

But has not seen much rain of wind... lots of UV rays.... yeah...

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Could you please take a couple of shots of the bracketry that connect the shady boy to your vehicle? It appears to be able to fold outward? Thanks

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
7 years later and still going strong. I may have accidentally gifted it to my father, and now I'm out an awning. I've contacted the company for updated pricing as I'd like to buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Thank you SmoothLC....
It has worked great for us, and I will try to implement it unto a pop-up when the time comes......

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Just came up with a slick way to mount the Shady Boy yet again. I recently had a dream and that is how many of my problems get worked out as I sleep when the evil me is at work. I have yakima round cross bar and they look about the right size for a 1" star fangled nut from the bike shop. After some research and a trip to the bike shop, it will work. Next week I will add 1 nut to each bar end making the awning usable on both sides within a few minutes time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Bills

Explorer
Next week I will add 1 star nut to each bar end making the awning usable on both sides within a few minutes time.

Please post pictures of how the Shady Boy awning mounts using the star nuts. Also, please show how you inserted the star nuts into the tubes straight if you are not using the special tool for that purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier