ShadyBoy Awning

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I recently purchased a product that was new to me. The name of the company is ShadyBoy. The make awnings for VW vans. I have a Hannibal Roof Tent and know they make awnings but they start aourn$700?ish OUCH. SO I happened to be looking on Ebay and found this awning. Its simple, light, and cost effective at $385 shipped. I got it in the mail looked it over and damn what a nice product. I did however have to modify the brackets it came with, which of course was no problem. Then I modify the Yakima rack to work with the awning and it was done. I am extremely impressed and look forward to testing this out in upcoming weeks. It also has poles for windy conditions and tethered lines.
P1070241.jpg

P1070227.jpg

P1070224.jpg

Aaron

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice new mod!

I've bookmarked this product myself as a "less expensive" awning option. The VDub owners seem to give it good marks for ease of setting up and of good build quality. I like a free standing unit over one that absolutely requires poles and lines.

Awnings never seem to shade where I'm sitting, but I would still love to have one. I hope you'll keep us updated on your impressions.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
No pictures of it closed up on the CO web site, could you post one?

At 50" closed I could even hang one of those from the cage on my 40.

pwc

Explorer
It looks like you have to fold up the canvas to get it all back in. Or is it on some kind of retractable device? And on thier site they show it in blue (yuck). Yours looks grey, is that about right?

How long does it take to deploy and put back?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
P1070243.jpg

P1070242.jpg

P1070229.jpg

P1070226.jpg

P1070225.jpg

P1070240.jpg

OK so it doesnt take but about 2 min to set it up, 5 min or less to close it. It doesnt take any more that my Hannibal to pack up so it works for me. There is no retraction device so the idea of simplicity is maintained. Nothing to break on me when Im way out. It seems to be a great unit especially for the price. The base price for an awning is $282.00 +$39.00(S&H in the continental US).
The colors are Burgundy, Dark Blue, Light Blue and Silver (the silver is a reflective
material to keep you cooler and an additional charge of $12.00 is added
for this color). The extra poles cost $25.00 and the awning will come with
stainless brackets and hardware to install on your camper.

To order please fax us at (509)-472-8666 your Visa or MasterCard number,
full name on the card, CVC number (this is the 3 digit number located at
the back of the card), date of expiration of the card, shipping/billing
address, color choice, options and type of vehicle (Vanagon, Eurovan, Ford etc.).
Our fax number is a secure fax.

I look foward to using it this weekend.

Aaron

pwc

Explorer
Thanks for the additional picture, Aaron, that helps a lot.

Do you just fold up the canvas and then roll it up? How do the poles fold into the unit?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
pwc said:
Thanks for the additional picture, Aaron, that helps a lot.

Do you just fold up the canvas and then roll it up? How do the poles fold into the unit?

Ok visualize this with me, I know I should had shot the pictures as I opened it. You open the box remove the snap tab that holds the tent in when the box is opened. Roll the material out unfold the sides. The poles all store in the box with the material. Even if you ordered the down poles for windy conditions they store in there as well. In total you have 5 poles it looks like this from the top. _\|/_ I will let you guys know on monday I intend on camping this weekend.

Aaron

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Any report yet???

I'm thinking about an awning system and keep coming back to the awning that was on my parent's RV growing up. It attached to the vehicle and rolled in and out with swing out arms from the side/top of the vehicle. Anyone seen a streamlined version of this that would work well for us?

Kyle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior