The best freestanding shade structure?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a quick deploying free standing shade structure that I can move between my personal vehicle and work truck.

Any input?
Ideas?
Thanks!

well i wish i woulda got to this earlier and saved you the money and trouble with what you ended up buying,,,based on your topics' title and the phrase i quoted above the obvious answer is one the easy up shades on the market. i am not a real big fan, but for what you asked its the best option.

http://www.ezup.com/products/rec.shtml

Sangster

Adventurer
well i wish i woulda got to this earlier and saved you the money and trouble with what you ended up buying,,,based on your topics' title and the phrase i quoted above the obvious answer is one the easy up shades on the market. i am not a real big fan, but for what you asked its the best option.

http://www.ezup.com/products/rec.shtml

x2 and you can find them on sale in the $75 range at any Bass Pro, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc.

Sangster

Adventurer
true, i've never tried with just one person. BUT, I can't think of a situation I'd be in where I would be by myself and want to put one of these up.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
single person set up takes a little back and forth working both sides, but its easy to do.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've got an Easy Up type thing that I like, especially with the bug netting walls you can add. Real important up here. They're crazy heavy and bulky, however. So they only make sense if you're driving a big pickup, or have a trailer.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
single person set up takes a little back and forth working both sides, but its easy to do.

Ditto. When spreading it out, pull out one corner a little ways, then move to the next, and the next, and keep circling 'til you have it spread out without putting undue strain on it. Then extend the legs one notch at a time, working your way around, 'til it's up full height.

Easier then it sounds.

Stake it down well if it's windy. I had a moderate wind pick up an unsecured corner and kink the framework, destroying it.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Cabelas (and others) sell adjustable tent poles (up to 10ft) for about $15 each. walmart sells the silver/brown tarp for something like $20 I think (16x20). rope costs about $10 total and every thing is adjustable for height and wind. on hot days place the silver side up and it will reflect a lot of heat away from the tarp. fast easy and effective for about $80 including heavy duty stakes @ $2.56 for 4. just sayin a good tarp is a lot more versatile.

pray4surf

Explorer
My favorite free-standing shade structure is one made of EMT and welded corner brackets - ala swap meet shade structures. Of course, these don't go up quickly (but can be assembled by one person - I too have troubles erecting an EZup by myself). These swap meet shades have served me extremely well and if I'm setting up a shade device for more than one day, this is what I turn to. Configuration is only limited to EMT lengths and tarp sizes. The downside is that carrying all that EMT tubing - my peaked setup requires 14 6' lengths of EMT - but when assembled I have a 12'x12' shade.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I've had a Kelty Sunshade for a number of years. This is a 3 leg design, and quite stable in wind. That is staked down. Otherwise it can turn turtle.

But it has a couple of disadvantages. The fiberglass poles are heavy, and the external joints get hung up on the fabric sleeves. And the triangular footprint does not completely cover the typical camp table.

The Kelty Carport (the leanto design) is lighter, but assembly is more complicated. And depending on the height of the car, rain drainage from the nearly horizontal panel near the car can be problem.

I like wing tarp style, such as the Outfitter mentioned near the start of the thread. I have a MSR Vista, the next size down. Usually I rig this from the roofrack, using an inverted T spreader bar arrangement. But it also works well standalone. Usually I rig a Kelty Noah 12, a 4 sided wing, over the camp table, using 8' poles. Strong anchors are essential for wing tarps.

Last edited:

shelleyvdp

My homemade cheap awning

I wanted to make something quick and cheap to set up to protect the cooking side of my trailer, and cover the doorway of the tent. It's not self supporting, but would work off the side of a pack rack or trailer like mine. Cost me only the cost of a spreader bar to roll it up on, and the tarp which I didn't have the right size. So about $50 Australian, but everythings cheaper in the US!

As you can see below, it's only set up part way in the carport to make sure it works ok -

4562672424_4fa5f80a15_o.jpg

Rolls out in about 5 seconds to be 5.3m long, then add two telescopic poles on the end, I think I'll get a pole for the centre too to stop the rain pooling. Takes about a minute for one person to roll up.

Spreader bar held down with bolts during travel.

4562042453_5cf145f6fe_o.jpg

I know it's dodgy as, but it as cheap as too, and seems to work well. Attached telescopic poles to the trailer uprights with hose clamps and a ton of cable ties, so we can lift the trailer end up and down to angle against the sun. I'm so proud of my first home made awning! Not bad for a girl.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
9x9 swift set shade from Ozark Trail (Wallmart)

I set up the Ozark Trail Swift Set Shade Shade I bought for 45USD at Wallmart last month in Flagstaff AZ. It's 9'x9' or 81 square feet of coverage in a 21lbs package that folds up to 5.5" X 5.5" X46". I was shopping for a
10X10 or 12x12 untill I saw the size and weight of a typical ez-up. Those things were so big and heavy that the bag has wheels on it. I was walking out when I found this small unit at way less than 1/2 the size and weight when packed. This uses two shock corded poles to hold the roof so assembly takes an extra two minutes. It went up and came down in a jiffy and fit easily in the zip case provided. Roof material is nylon tent material but secured well to a strong frame. The height did extend an additional 5 or 6" but I didn't notice untill I was taking it down so it will go higher than the photo in my back yard. It also came with 8 stakes and 4 adjustable guy wire ropes. It is what it is but for what it cost and how small it packs down I think this stought little shade is a good buy.
ozark trail.jpg

ozark trail 1.jpg

eli

Observer
Swift Set Shade

for that price and weight you could get two and zip tie them together or have extra shade on a second corner of your base camp . . . though a good EZ-Up is rather sturdy in high winds I've had the chance to see first hand . . .

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
It's not free standing, but the Kirkham's auto canopy can go on any vehicle with a roof attachment point and only costs $100. I have it and got it to be able to attach it to different vehicles... ie: If I'm not the driver on a trip. So not free-standing, but it comes off, stores in a canvas bag; it's a canvas material which keeps it cooler under it. Here's a pic in Mojave...thank goodness I packed it!

attachment.php

I'm thinking I will also get a "free-standing" shade structure to add to my camp coverage in case of weather or for shade in the desert. So this is a cool thread! Keep the products/reviews coming! I can't say enough about Kirkham's/SPRINGBAR as was previously mentioned by someone else. I have a springbar tent and the quality of my two Kirkham's products is amazing...not to mention made in USA

edit: It takes about 5 mins ALONE to set up, and less if you have a helper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior