Cactus proof clothing

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What works in a desert full of cactus? Boots included because those things go right thrugh the mesh on my Merrils.

rambrush

Adventurer
I have seen some kevlar gaitors and been thinking chain saw chaps.
I get the cacti in my boots and as I walk I stab the cacti into my legs. Still have cacti in the legs sure does not like to come out.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i dunno, i'm pretty much always in shorts, t-shirt and regular shoes, never a problem.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Maybe this outfit?

attachment.php

safari%20copy.gif

Attachments

• tin-man.jpg
    tin-man.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 437

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Being a bird hunter, I have some ideas about thorn/cactus proof clothing and footwear.

Footwear - forget any boot that is not all leather. Boots with stout (Vibram type) soles and leather tops are the only way to protect your feet when walking in cactus and thorns.

Leg protection - the best thing that I have found is chaps. Wick, Filson double tin are good, there are others that are offered by companies that supply upland bird hunter. Get the type with zippers at the bottom or sides - they are easier to put on and remove - which means that you'll be more likely to wear them.

Another note -- carry a Leatherman and a pair of good leather gloves. You will likely find a use for both.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I just bought a pair of Filson brush pants in shelter cloth. They make a pair that is cover cloth and a little lighter. I was walking through the desert and felt my leg brush against something. I looked down and saw I was rubbing against a big prickly pear. The only problem is that even now it gets a little warm, come summer I don't know how I'll feel wearing them.

I also have a pair of the discontinued Filson Uplander boots, that has the twill inserts. I didn't have any problem with thorns getting into the boot. But the brush pants were over the boot. I don't know how I'd fare if the pants were tucked into the boot. Like I said this boot is discontinued and all they have now is the full leather boot.

They changed supplier for the boot and it's now foreign made. I don't know how it compares to the old boot but mine required no break in time to be comfortable.

Chad

Footwear - forget any boot that is not all leather. Boots with stout (Vibram type) soles and leather tops are the only way to protect your feet when walking in cactus and thorns.

Leg protection - the best thing that I have found is chaps. Wick, Filson double tin are good.

+1. I have Gokey bull hide snake proof boots and wear Filson Tin Cloth chaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles