Simon's M416 Build

sgv209

Observer
I have been lurking here for a little bit, and I bought an M416 from one of the members here to tow behind my TJ for camping and such. At first the trailer seemed to be in decent shape, but upon closer inspection, the bed was in pretty rough shape. Here it is the day I got it.

M4161.jpg

M4162.jpg

M4163.jpg

The floor had pinholes all over it and was wavy. The front and rear had significant rust holes as well. However, the frame and axle assembly are in good shape. I decided to fabricate my own bed from 12 Ga steel. I found a local sheetmetal shop that was willing to help me out with the project. They sourced the material and cut it to shape. Their cuts were perfect and it was well worth the extra money spent on waterjetting and bending.

I just got done tacking the bed together and I couldn't be more pleased. :wings:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

Here is my trusty little Hobart Handler 140 on its home built cart
005.JPG

I plan to paint the trailer using rustoleum's flat sand color, and add a hinged lid with a rack of some sort on it. Eventually I'd like to put a RTT on it for longer trips.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the keyed washer that goes in-between the two nuts holding the hub assembly on?

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

-Simon

telwyn

Adventurer
That's a really nice looking tub you built! Like many on ExPo I looked at the pictures first, then the text and I was wondering how the heck you got that rusty tub that cleaned up! :)

Will enjoy following this build.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Very nice... That shop did a great job on the cutting an bending of the tub. Where abouts in Jersey are you? I might need the use of a good metal shop in the near future.

-

sgv209

Observer
Very nice... That shop did a great job on the cutting an bending of the tub. Where abouts in Jersey are you? I might need the use of a good metal shop in the near future.

-

I am in central Jersey between Princeton and Trenton. The place that did the sheet metal work is called Diversatech. http://diversatech.com/

I was able to get the seams completely welded this weekend. Next step is the 1"x2" tubes that will surround the top rim. I am undecided on if/how I want to do a tailgate on it. I am a little concerned that if I do a full tailgate, the rear won't be as sturdy as I want it, and if I make one within the rear panel, it won't be that useful.

Should have some new pictures up next weekend

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Thanks for the Company info... Not too far from me if I need it.

As far as the tail gate, I think as long as you make the site have 6" or so of width before you start the tailgate, you should have plenty of strength. You could even put some braces behind those 6" sides that would stiffen the back end even more.

The better access you have, the easier it will be getting at stuff when your on the trail (or any time I guess). I think you'll be glad you put as large a tailgate as possible.

-

sgv209

Observer
I have been trying to figure out how I want to do the tailgate, and this is what I have come up with so far.

Trailer1.jpg

Trailer2.jpg

The opening and tailgate are reinforced with 1" square tube. I am thinking of adding a lip around the inside for sealing purposes

Any ideas on the latch mechanism? What about those handles that are used to lock the rear window on a pickup truck cap?

loki646

Observer
Just did my frame-in for the tailgate yesterday. It looks like there are three of us that are actively working on M416s and posting about it...should be a great build.looks great so far!...:26_7_2:

Day4-Tubwork4.jpg

Last edited:

sgv209

Observer
This weekend I was able to get the rim cut and tacked on. I still haven't been able to come up with a tailgate design that I really like, so I am going to hold off on putting one in for now.

010.JPG

013.JPG

It's been awfully cold in my garage, so progress has been slow. :REOutCampFire03: Hopefully this melts so I can work more on the frame...

014.JPG

gasman

Adventurer
take your time on the tailgate design, questions i would be asking are what kind of lid are you gonna build .. will it be hinged on the side or the end.. you will want to reinforce it more if hinged on the side .. the wieght of the lid,racks, and tent will stress and flex the side out .. im not sayin it cant be done .. but it is somthing you will need to address,, i saw a thread on here or ih8mud where the guy had some real flexing issues .. i will try and find it..

loki646

Observer
Great idea using 1x2 for the rim, it looks great. I need to stop and grap some batteries for the camera so I can update my build as well. But so far yours is looking sweet!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Good luck on waiting for the snow to melt... It's gonna be awhile, at least here in Delaware. Better off getting a good heater in that garage.

-

sgv209

Observer
take your time on the tailgate design, questions i would be asking are what kind of lid are you gonna build .. will it be hinged on the side or the end.. you will want to reinforce it more if hinged on the side .. the wieght of the lid,racks, and tent will stress and flex the side out .. im not sayin it cant be done .. but it is somthing you will need to address,, i saw a thread on here or ih8mud where the guy had some real flexing issues .. i will try and find it..

Thanks for the input gasman, I had not even thought about the sides flexing with a lid. Just moving the tub around to weld the different seams, it felt very solid, the bends in the sides should help considerably in keeping the rim straight. I am very interested to read the thread from ih8mud.

I was thinking something sort of like this for the lid. I am not able to get any sheetmetal wider than 48" so will have to includes some sort of step.

TrailerWLid.jpg

The inside will have a few ribs for support, and the roof rack will attach to the lip along the edge.

gasman

Adventurer
guess im lucky or somthin my buddy had no problem getting metal big enough for a one piece lid.. we just made some measurements and a drawing and boom like magic the lid was delivered by noon the next day..from there we welded on the end plates and a support rib inside done ! so i am guessing you are hinging on the side ? with the weight of the lid racks and tent your gonna be a couple hundred lbs.. the lip you welded on will go a long way to support it but i think you need more im gonna look for that other thread now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles