Simon's M416 Build

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
If I may chime in here....I have not seen any rims that narrow new and I havehunted around a bit as well. One thingyou may want to consider is to post up looking for unused military trailer rims. The M100 rims were a solid face and the M4`6 have the holes in them. These wheels are steel and sandblast nice. You could powder coat them to match your trailer ofr go black. I have done this with three sets of military trailer rims and they look like brand new rims when done. Powdercoating colors/textures have come a long way in the last few years and you can get them done rather quickly. I have found that picking up a pair of rims for $50 or less and then having them blasted and powdercoated is actually cheaper than buying new rims. Only real problem is the 5 on 5.5 configuration doest match many vehiceles anymore so without adapters, they will only serve as trailer tires.

As i have noticed....many expo trailer projects begin with swapping out the military axles (rims/tires) to match the owners vehicle. Which means there are many axles/rims sittting in garages needing a home. Hope this helps

sgv209

Observer
Finding some used wheels will probably be your best bet. The wheels i used came with the rusty trailer that I originally bought.

merlin44

Very nice job on the rebuild. I've had several 416's, but never rebuilt the bodies. Have a M100 now that I want to build a body for and have started the drawings. Your plans will help a bunch!! Thanks so much for sharing your efforts and the plans.

I have been trying to decide about flanging the corners, like the originals, or butting the panels together like yours. It makes for less bending and fitting ($$).
Any issues with just welding the edges together yet? Probably not, especially with the 12g sheet, but just wondering.

How did the 140 Hobart work out with that? also debating 120 vs 240 mig to replace my lincoln stick welder. I don't think it would work as well as your mig on sheet steel!

Thanks,
Billy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94