M101 3/4 ton trailer

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
When I bought the trailer It had the Lunette from the military with surge brake system.
It was non functioning so I removed all of it reducing the weight by over 250 pounds.
I cut off the landing leg and mount and welded on a 4 position receiver mount. I have a 2" ball mount for the street
and a 2 1/2" lunette for the trails. Pull two pins and change them out. It is also good for theft deterrence.
Remove the set up and "No steal"

Here is my build blog.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

K2ZJ

Explorer
I used a standard 3"axl tube and 6 on 5.5 hubs to match my Runner and tacoma. The shocks are Walker Evans units (overkill for the trailer) but they match the ones on the Taco. The pic has the Tacoma in it which has more power than the 4runner but the Runner maneuvers the trailer around easier since its smaller. I hope the pics attach, sorry, dont post much but do lurk a lot.

I think you may have misunderstood him (or I did). It looks in the picture to be a standard, non-braked trailer axle, not some hybrid piece that uses truck parts. I think the shocks are the only thing that match the truck.

Yeah I was just refering to the shocks. Guess bad choice of words lol.

The tires are spares as well is my guess.

upcountry

Explorer
So I picked up my M101a2 this morning from Govt. Liquidation at Fort Lewis near Tacoma WA. I brought some magnetic lights, but could not find a good place to stick them to. Fortunately I also brouhgt some industrial size zip ties, I used these to tie the lights on the back to the other lights, worked well. I also used the zip ties to tie together other items that were loose or at risk of falling off on the 65 MPH drive back to Seattle. Altogether it went well - tows well only can tell it is there when starting from a stop going up a hill.

Now I can sort out what I want to do with it!

Pics:

Connection.JPGBack.JPGFront_Profile.JPGFront_Profile2.JPGRear_Side.JPGSide_View.JPG

upcountry

Explorer
I might add that the Gov Liquidation staff was wonderfull. I had scheduled an 8 AM loadout, and got there early as you never know what to expect from the base entrance (security check) delay. I was at the Gov Liquidation lot at 6:50 AM. I called them and THEY WERE THERE! They said I had to wait untill 8 AM becuase the gate to the lot did not open till then, but they would call if there was a solution. Well, they rolled it through their ware house and out the front receiving dock door! I was loaded up and off base by 8 AM. Very helpfull staff.

Also, I did not need an EUC to pick up the trailer, I got to pick it up 4 days after I won the auction. Very smooth process.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice trailer!

Looks like a good trailer, Surge brakes, good top and 8 bolt rims.
sell the axle and get one to match the Toyota lug pattern.
You could build a removable cottage like this.

Attachments

• image_php6.jpg
    image_php6.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 56

tropics

Lookin good Upcountry! keep us updated with the build. kind of matches the Taco already with the tan canvas top.

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Did they have a bunch at ft Lewis? I kind of want one myself but am not sure about the weight. I have a 4th gen 4runner so same engine as you. Where in seattle are you? Id like to check it out.

upcountry

Explorer
I am in North Seattle, confluence of Lake Forest Park/Shoreline/Seattle - near the Fircrest State Hospital. Send me an offline communication and come by and check it out. They had several on Gov Liquidation. The total was something like $505 out the gate - have to pay buyers premium and sales tax. Weight does not seem bad, and I plan to trim some of the uneeded stuff off, similar to what Tropics and Mark have done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94