where to find a good 22re?

i think it may be time for a new motor in the 4 runner. it seems like there are some very bad things going on inside. i have done some looking and places like lc engineering and doa are out for sure. i dont want to put a $4k motor in a $1400 truck. but i am considering a $1500 motor if there is such a thing. i looked at some of the reman places and this seems to be what they are going for (aprox.) i checked out japan engines. com and they had a brand new long block for $1500 after the coupon with free shipping. has any one had any experience with them? or any other places out for that matter? looking foe suggestions. thanks

BLKNBLU

Explorer
There has been a number of good things said about Oregon Engine Rebuilders over on Yotatech. I was intrigued by this place:
http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/
In the end though, I had the work done by a shop including the install and I went with their local rebuild shop since they were the ones that had to warranty it. So... I don't have any first hand knowledge about Sunwest.

Good luck.

seems like jasper is the reman motor of choice around here. does any one have any info? i went there web site and could not find any prices.

austintaco

Explorer
Are you doing the work yourself? I ask because your mechanic probably won't warranty something that someone he doesn't know sells you. If you are open to getting it from anywhere, engnbldr at engnbldr.com gets great reviews, but I don't know if he has complete engines or just heads. His pricing on heads was about a third of LC engineering.

Your other option would be to look at a low mileage 22re from a pick and pull, but that's a crap shoot too.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
seems like jasper is the reman motor of choice around here. does any one have any info? i went there web site and could not find any prices.
There was one guy here in Phx that I really wanted to use but we could never hook up because he was always too backed up with work (that says alot right there) and he wanted to use Jasper. I've only read one negative comment about them and as I recall it wasn't really backed up by anything. Just kind of a "not worth the price" kind of statement. IIRC they are on the pricey side.

Ditto what Austintaco said. If a shop is putting it in, they are going to want to use a known quantity to them since they will be warranting it. That is why I ended up letting the shop I used simply provide a motor of their choosing. They did work with me on some minor head tweaks though. (new casting and mild cam)

i've gto a couple friends that have shops that will probably do it for a cash deal. i'm not as much concerned about there work as i am the company who builds the reman motors backing them. meaning" well he ( the machanic) screwed the motor up putting it in there so we are not gonna warranty it". that's whay i think jasper is one of my few options.

i thought about a junk yard motor but there is really not to many of them around here i trust. and i think the price of a junk yard motor almost gets me close enouhg to a reman to really consider them.

i need to talk to the mechanics and see if we cant work something out maybe with a differnet manufacturer. i have seen some good prices at other places, even found one with free shipping. we'll see. thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles