Post your Camp Awnings

32vsnake

Adventurer
Here's my contraption, I built an aluminum rack that goes on my Jeep or my camp trailer. It's hinges at the back and flips over to create an awning behind whatever

Very cool setup. Looking at building something similar in concept for my solar panel.What did you use for hinges?

grogie

Like to Camp
In the interest of not carrying a canopy (as shown in earlier pictures), I found this Grand Trunk tarp made from tent material that comes with ropes, stakes... all in a small little bag!

gNgQ5Y.jpg

I was thinking that it would probably work to drape this tarp over my Tepui Ayer RTT and extend out. So today I opened up the RTT and threw the tarp over one side, and to my surprise the tarp's grommets and tie down loops fit perfectly to the RTT's window poles. I already had several collapsible ground poles to support the other two ends of the tarp. The tarp could be longer on one side (it's 10' x 10'), but I think this will work fine for what I want without carrying the canopy. Plus the tarp can be tied to trees or otherwise besides the RTT if I need more room under it.

I was just test fitting this in my garage today due to rain (and my Jeep's hardtop is hanging from the ceiling) but you can get the idea of it.

2ezeTC.jpg

UFv8Fb.jpg

wPW85V.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Very cool setup. Looking at building something similar in concept for my solar panel.What did you use for hinges?

Just some cheap door hinges from the hardware department of tractor supply, nothing fancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Here's my own version of an awning made from a pup tent and some PVC pipe.
This all started as just me wanting a work mat for field repairs and picked up half of an old military pup tent from the local surplus store for just that purpose. I was laying it out on my Bronco's tailgate when I realized it would fit perfectly over the back. Well, some quick hardware store trips and a few more trips back to the surplus store and viola!
attachment.php

I also purchased the other half of the pup tent to use as a sidewall. Works pretty well in testing and seems strong, but I didn't get a chance to test it in real world before I got deployed so hopefully, I'll be able to test it out this fall.
attachment.php

I screwed a couple of tie downs under the wheel wells to help hold the tent to the top so I wouldn't have to tie them to the tires/axles like some people. That just looks sloppy to me.
attachment.php

It still needs a little work, as I'm not sure how it will react in rain, but I'm very confident it will give me enough room for me and the gf to sleep in the back comfortably.
attachment.php

Baoser

Observer
Xbcasey, I just saw your trailer on craigslist, then I come over here and see it again haha such a coincidence...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Picked up a used NRS Riverwing this past weekend. Love the space it creates. Nice heavy fabric and great sewing. A bit awkward to set up and definitely a 2 man operation. I need to work on the seams - the seam tape is coming off and even the fabric is not quite waterproof. Any suggestions for repair? I am calling NRS in the morning to see what they recommend but thought I would ask here also.
IMG_5988.jpg

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I was jealous of it from across the rainy field! ;) even our canvas RTT material was challenged with all the rain we saw at ARV

I've see waterproofing tape for seams at REI or the like.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I was jealous of it from across the rainy field! ;) even our canvas RTT material was challenged with all the rain we saw at ARV

I've see waterproofing tape for seams at REI or the like.

I called NRS and they said to try and seal the seams and also use a "durable water repellent", which I assume is something like scotch guard, on the top part. Had I bought from them and not used they would have replaced... but I would have paid a whole heck of a lot more too

So next time roll on over and check it out up close and I will supply the cold beverage :)

Lucky j

Explorer
I was wondering why you were not returning it. Know I know!

I called NRS and they said to try and seal the seams and also use a "durable water repellent", which I assume is something like scotch guard, on the top part. Had I bought from them and not used they would have replaced... but I would have paid a whole heck of a lot more too

So next time roll on over and check it out up close and I will supply the cold beverage :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior